Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I don't know why I keep thinking this! Are there any poultry colors that cannot be splits in females? 

Just off the top of my memory  silver , gold and chocolate .

Gold? Can you explain that? I knew silver and choc but have not been aware of gold.....are there more than one set of genes that can make red or gold?

Gold? Can you explain that? I knew silver and choc but have not been aware of gold.....are there more than one set of genes that can make red or gold?

I should have said red/gold . My understanding is that it is one gene and the differences we see are from other genes that enhance , dilute or modify .

I need to read up on that.... you are the second person I have heard use RED/GOLD as a sex link trait.  I just have not seen it as a sex link gene. 

If you search "sex link", there is a thread created by tadkerson who explains the red/gold and silver crossings for sex-links... :)
Hope that helps!

Thanks I have read that several times but must have skimmed looking for what I needed and skipped the red being sex linked. I know you can make sex links crossing silver and red but the silver had to come from the hen to work.

Yup, that's it exactly! The hen has to carry the silver because she withholds passing it to her daughters and only passes it to her sons, and the roo passes the red/gold to both but it only expresses itself in the daughters since they didn't get the silver.

So do hens only carry one copy of red/gold like they do silver? I read about trying to breed out the red in another breed I have and it was a nearly impossible task since it is not really sex linked....that is the way I understood it.

Back
Top Bottom