Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Is it normal for lavenders (or Ameraucanas in general) to be really slow to start laying again in spring? I don't light the coop, but it seems everyone else is picking up. My last lav egg was November 4.
these birds are almost 2 years old, but even most of my 3 year old other breeds are giving off an occasional egg.
I know I need to be patient. It is just that I am hatching now and was hoping to put a couple lavender eggs in there.
hmm.png

Is it normal for lavenders (or Ameraucanas in general) to be really slow to start laying again in spring? I don't light the coop, but it seems everyone else is picking up. My last lav egg was November 4.
these birds are almost 2 years old, but even most of my 3 year old other breeds are giving off an occasional egg.
I know I need to be patient. It is just that I am hatching now and was hoping to put a couple lavender eggs in there.
hmm.png

I find ALL ameraucana to be poor layers of small-med eggs. My wheatens will out lay my Lavs but they all take breaks and slack off. If I needed them for eating eggs I would not have Ameraucanas.

Go tell them "an egg a day keeps the ax away" that should do it
lau.gif

I find ALL ameraucana to be poor layers of small-med eggs. My wheatens will out lay my Lavs but they all take breaks and slack off. If I needed them for eating eggs I would not have Ameraucanas.

Go tell them "an egg a day keeps the ax away" that should do it
lau.gif
I disagree. My blacks are laying med-large as pullets. They do take awhile to actually start laying as pullets though and lay about every 2 out of 3 days

The size of the eggs and production will vary from bird to birs and breeder to breeder. All I have lay small to med eggs even the hens. Even the eggs i bought and hatched were the same size...... i think i have only gotten ameraucana eggs twice. Once from Dak and once from Happy Mtn.

The size of the eggs and production will vary from bird to birs and breeder to breeder. All I have lay small to med eggs even the hens. Even the eggs i bought and hatched were the same size...... i think i have only gotten ameraucana eggs twice. Once from Dak and once from Happy Mtn.
Lavs certainly aren't up to par with the Blacks yet. All the more reason to breed to Black!

My 2010 Lav hen that I hatched from Harry is a great layer though. The is still putting out an egg every other day.

I disagree. My blacks are laying med-large as pullets. They do take awhile to actually start laying as pullets though and lay about every 2 out of 3 days
I agree.Depends on the bloodline and breeder.I put egg production high on my list.Whites are easiest to keep production up with diversity and black family next.My LF lav are good layers.I have tweaked the line and improved egg color,egg size and production.Working on size now.

Hi Donna,

Funny today's subject seems to be productivity and egg size..... I signed on today to discuss eggs size in ameraucanas and see I am already late to the party. I have 3 ameraucana pullets 2 black and 1 blue. I hatched these out from eggs I selected from a very reputable breeder based on color and size. One of the two black pullets (7 months old) consistently lays a 2.1 ounce egg, the other black pullet lays an egg that is consistently 2.2 ounces and the blue pullet consistently lays a 2.3 ounce egg. Egg color is pretty good and two of the three are pretty decent from a type and size standpoint, Today I got the biggest ameraucana egg I have ever seen a legitimate 2.6 ounces! I beleive it is from the blue pullet. Do you think it is possible that this is a single yolked egg or do you think it must be a double yolked egg. Does anyone have ameraucanas that lay eggs this large?? just asking...maybe bragging a bit too
ya.gif

Thanks for all the replies. Back when these hens were laying, 1 laid a medium sized egg, the other 2 large. They are almost two years old, but I've had them less than a year. I'd love to hatch a few more, but it looks like I'll have to wait it out.

Back
Top Bottom