Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Thanks! Ten of the 14 eggs hatched and they were adorable. Enough so that I posted this pic on a local Facebook farm site and seven were sold within the hour. Now I have people in line and all my fertile eggs are sold until 1-5. Hope my girls don't quit on me.

Hi all,

I have a friend who will be sending me Lavendar Ameracauna eggs to hatch, once they are hatched what should I look at for quality? I know she is hatching her's from a breeder, I have seen the pictures of the breeder's and they are gorgeous!

Hello! We are looking for any breeders of Lavender Ameraucana in the Virginia area, we currently raise and show b/b/s but have recently gotten a very nice lav roo and looking to start a breeder flock of lavenders as well.....any help would be appreciated

Hello! We are looking for any breeders of Lavender Ameraucana in the Virginia area, we currently raise and show b/b/s but have recently gotten a very nice lav roo and looking to start a breeder flock of lavenders as well.....any help would be appreciated
You already have what you need just breed him to the black hens. You will probably have to do that anyways to improve on the Lavenders APA qualities. There is no hurry or fast fix for this color. In two years you will have pure lavenders and hopefully they have improved.

I am also working on Lavender Ameraucanas, this will be my second hatching season this year. Last year I bred my lavender hens to my black rooster & got all black chicks. I saved a roo & a pullet from those & am going to use them this year to hopefully get some lavender chicks. I'm pairing up a black split to lavender roo with my two lavender hens & then will use the original black rooster with the black split to lavender hen. Are there any thoughts on this? I hope I'm heading in the right direction.

Just wanted to say "Hi" on here
frow.gif

I am ordering some Lav and Lav Splits from John Blehm for deliver this coming Mar-May - will be excited to see those chicks, I love that color.

It is my understanding from reading that this is what I will need to do, lavender rooster over split hens, or split rooster over lavender hens.

Oh wait - you said to use a black rooster over the splits? - I don't think you would want to do this. From what I understand that would give you 75% black and 25% splits - and they are impossible to tell apart. No lavender chicks from them, and you wouldn't have a clue who carried lavender and who was pure black without extensive check breeding of every bird.

Last edited:
I would not breed the Black to a Split unless you are wanting more blacks to work with. I think I will have splits and lavs running together always. I had a Black pen... those chicks were then used used to make splits in another pen. Those Splits ended up in my Lavender pen. That is just what I wanted to do. I want to have a supply of GOOD Blacks and make GOOD Splits with those blacks. Now from there you will have all kinds of options. You can breed the Splits to each other and get some lavenders or you can use the Splits with a Lavender to make more Lavenders and Splits..... I think what works for you. The main goal is to keep your Lavenders as close to the BLACKS as possible to keep the feather quality and TYPE up. I think it would be a while before I would have an ALL Lavender pen.... and I really don't see that is needed either. Splits and Blacks are just to intricately intertwined with Lavenders.... right now anyway.

You will some others to chime in and give you some of their opinions..... I am still a new breeder and I want to hear other opinions too.

then will use the original black rooster with the black split to lavender hen. Are there any thoughts on this? I hope I'm heading in the right direction.
this will give you all black chicks, but 1/2 will be splits and you won't know which. Not Ideal.

- you said to use a black rooster over the splits? - I don't think you would want to do this. From what I understand that would give you 75% black and 25% splits - and they are impossible to tell apart. No lavender chicks from them, and you wouldn't have a clue who carried lavender and who was pure black without extensive check breeding of every bird.
A black x split will give you 50% black and 50% Split and you won't know which is which.

I believe you make the quickest improvement by breeding split x split. You only get 25% Lav chicks and the blacks that hatch are an unknown and I cull them, but you bring in a higher concentration of the "black" genes with this approach.

If you want to improve your stock use this method. If you are in a hurry to produce the maximum number of lavs to sell, breed lav x lav. If you fall somewhere in between then Split x lav would be your option.

Back
Top Bottom