Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie to lavender ameraucana's so new infact that I'm just getting my first hatch today!! Yippee
OK question, I have one little guy that has a black beak and some others that have yellowish beaks.
Just want to know which is desirable and will the other beaks change to black?
Is there a written lavender breed standard yet?
Thanks for the help

Are these from the eggs I sent you? I haven't noticed any that have hatched with anything other than dark beaks..? Keep an eye out and if the beak doesn't darken, don't use them.

No Caitlin, these are from the guy in KY that sent me 3 doz. The ones you sent just got put in the bator.
There are one or two that have half and half beaks.
Thanks for the feedback.
Cathy

So part of the beak is dark & part is light? I bet they will darken up. But, I think, if they have just light beaks (which I haven't seen in my own birds) I don't think they will darken. But, I am no expert at this point! Just from my own observations.

I just hatched out 4 little lavender chicks from shipped eggs that had the wonkiest air cells. I went against my better judgment and set them anyway. I ordered these from a lavender breeder who is reputable. The eggs came shipped fairly well, but I was quite disappointed with their size, egg color and seeming quality of the eggs. Since I had paid handsomely for them, and I am a complete newbie, I decided to set them anyway, and have it be a learning experience. I have a Brinsea Mini advance and picked the best 7, and set them. out of the 7, 6 made it to lockdown, and as of this afternoon, 4 have hatched, and two I think must be late deaths, as when they went into lockdown they were all moving and squirming.

Questions are... do lavenders have egg color issues? If these weren't from a reputable breeder, I would have thought they weren't even Ameraucana eggs. I only have one black Ameraucana hen, and she lays such a nice true blue, large egg. These eggs were green, and also very very small. I am hoping these are truly LF bird, but then again, he only advertised LF. I am strictly a back yard hobby breeder building a second flock for eggs of breeds I have dreamt of owning. I have a beautiful black/lav split roo that supposedly is from some nice lines. He is a gentleman, and free ranges with the girls. I wanted some nice lav hens to cross him with. I did email the breeder, and asked why the eggs were so small, and about the color... but haven't heard back. I am happy these four little ones seem to be getting stronger, and I will hope for at least one hen. It was a lesson learned, and one where when you are doubtful about the eggs,, perhaps not setting them is the way to handle it. But, I do have 4 pretty new little chicks. I will see how they grow.

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!
MB

I just hatched out 4 little lavender chicks from shipped eggs that had the wonkiest air cells. I went against my better judgment and set them anyway. I ordered these from a lavender breeder who is reputable. The eggs came shipped fairly well, but I was quite disappointed with their size, egg color and seeming quality of the eggs. Since I had paid handsomely for them, and I am a complete newbie, I decided to set them anyway, and have it be a learning experience. I have a Brinsea Mini advance and picked the best 7, and set them. out of the 7, 6 made it to lockdown, and as of this afternoon, 4 have hatched, and two I think must be late deaths, as when they went into lockdown they were all moving and squirming.

Questions are... do lavenders have egg color issues? If these weren't from a reputable breeder, I would have thought they weren't even Ameraucana eggs. I only have one black Ameraucana hen, and she lays such a nice true blue, large egg. These eggs were green, and also very very small. I am hoping these are truly LF bird, but then again, he only advertised LF. I am strictly a back yard hobby breeder building a second flock for eggs of breeds I have dreamt of owning. I have a beautiful black/lav split roo that supposedly is from some nice lines. He is a gentleman, and free ranges with the girls. I wanted some nice lav hens to cross him with. I did email the breeder, and asked why the eggs were so small, and about the color... but haven't heard back. I am happy these four little ones seem to be getting stronger, and I will hope for at least one hen. It was a lesson learned, and one where when you are doubtful about the eggs,, perhaps not setting them is the way to handle it. But, I do have 4 pretty new little chicks. I will see how they grow.

MB

For the most part, I don't think this color tends to have major egg color issues. Sometimes I get eggs that have a greenish tint to them, but the majority are pretty blue. Also, my girls lay different size/shape eggs. Maybe they sent you pullet eggs?

Edited to ad, I really should purchase an egg chart from the ABC! Does anyone have an extra they would be willing to sell?

Last edited:
For the most part, I don't think this color tends to have major egg color issues. Sometimes I get eggs that have a greenish tint to them, but the majority are pretty blue. Also, my girls lay different size/shape eggs. Maybe they sent you pullet eggs?

Edited to ad, I really should purchase an egg chart from the ABC! Does anyone have an extra they would be willing to sell?
Thank you for responding Caitlin VT! I know absolutely nothing of chickens, and learning as I go along. I appreciate all the information I can get my hands on. Do any resulting hens from these egg lay the same color egg? The woman told me that I bought my roo from that he hatched from a very deep blue egg. Does that mean the roo will pass this along? I realize this is probably a very complex question to answer. I am curious to see how this will play out, as I embark on my own little flock project.

Enjoy this beautiful day!
MB

MB

Lavender can have greenish egg color and size issues . This has to do with how they were developed . You may have gotten pullet eggs . In spite of your doubts they hatched well for shipped . So the seller is doing something right . Each breeder has a priority in mind for improvements . Some breeders do not consider a green tint a high priority for elimination and some do . So here is some history on lavender from memory . Most lavender trace back to John Blehm who started with bantam first . He used lavender Old English game bantam and Belgian De Anvers lavender bantam over black Ameraucana bantam as a starting point . Since both breeds lay tinted eggs some brown pigment was there to give a green tint to the eggs . John then used the bantam lavender Ameraucana on black large fowl to start the large lavender . Continued breeding back to black in both lines has brought improvements . Harry Shaffer also developed large fowl lavender independently . He says he used a lavender EE to start his line . Some breeders have combined both lines . So depending when a breeder got his start and where he got them from can have a effect on what he had to work with . Add his choices to the mix and the results can vary a bit . Myself I got a cock bird from John to start my lavender large fowl . I used him over hens that improved egg color and egg size plus egg production . My choice for first improvements . I am now improving size . This is a step forward and backward also . The size came from a line prone to lay green tint eggs . So now I will select for size and egg color . I hope this helps you understand some of the issues you encountered . Lavender is still in the project stage . Yes there are people trying to cash in on a new color . They sometimes will breed anything lavender for the money . No continued effort for improvements from some of these people . Most of the fast $ people have no idea how to ship , feed , and handle for good hatching of shipped eggs . Since yours hatched better than average I would say your reputable breeder is a good one . Improvements still needed in his birds but most do need continued effort .

My first generation lavs (see the pictures of my rooster a few posts up) came from a reputable breeder and the eggs are on the greenish side compared to my blues and blacks and are definitely on the smallish side. Overall i am happy with the trio I kept but they need work just like many others with bird size, egg color/size, eye color and feather quality. I am growing out some blacks from a line with excellent size, egg color/size and hope that the splits will help improve the issues I just mentioned. I am thrilled with the start I got and really appreciate all the work that was done to get them where they are.

Oh I forgot to say I got into lavender about 7 years ago . So more work needed to be done at that time . With my breeding choices over that much I feel it is my line . The latest addition was some Paul Smith line in the fall of 2012 .

Back
Top Bottom