Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Thanks very much for the info. Since I bought BCM, Lav Amer, and OE chicks from the same breeder, I'm thinking there might have been a mix up and she's another OE. She's much larger than the other OEs and the same color with fretting as the LA roos so I was hopeful and am waiting for that 1st egg to see if it helps confirm OE or not. I'll prob put her in my OE pen and get a better pullet for breeding purposes. Gives me good reason to get black ameraucana pullet to keep the bearded/muff trait strong and smooth the feathering started since my roo is fretted. Do you happen to know someone close in Northeast Ohio that would be a reputable source? I'd love to get a pullet before winter and avoid another dozen eggs/chicks trying to get a single black Lav pullet. I'm going to be hatching BCM, RIR, OE, (and then hopefully Amer) on my own next spring. thanks again.

Podgal,

I too have been breeding Lav Ameraucana's. I don't seem to have the bad fretting (even with free ranging) that seems to be prevailing. My roo produces 100% Lav
When Bred to my Lavenders. & 50% Lav when bred to a blue. They have nice beards & have very nice blue/green eggs. I live in Alliance, OH. I don't show, but I think that these are pretty nice.

Podgal,

I too have been breeding Lav Ameraucana's. I don't seem to have the bad fretting (even with free ranging) that seems to be prevailing. My roo produces 100% Lav
When Bred to my Lavenders. & 50% Lav when bred to a blue. They have nice beards & have very nice blue/green eggs. I live in Alliance, OH. I don't show, but I think that these are pretty nice.

Very handsome roo.

Podgal,

I have a lavender roo and hen, but unfortunately they were from the same breeding pen. I have been thinking that I would use my black hens to obtain splits, and work from that direction for breeding the lavender hen. I did not know that you could use blue since it is not on my breeding chart. These are my first Ameraucanas that I have had, so you can understand my questions. If you breed to blue, is that still considered a lavender? Do the offspring breed lavender, or might you get blue? Sorry for so many questions, but if I sell AMs or the Eggs, I want them to be what I advertise. Again, understand that I am new to this.

Podgal,

By the way, they are very pretty.

DMRippy,

I have a blue cockerel who I think is very attractive, and a black pullet I'd like to breed and was thinking of adding a LAV this spring for a trio to get some blues and LAVs possibly. I am a newbie and understand they are different genes but thought the mix could be fun. Can you tell me why it causes bad traits? Thank you.

DMRippy,

I have a blue cockerel who I think is very attractive, and a black pullet I'd like to breed and was thinking of adding a LAV this spring for a trio to get some blues and LAVs possibly. I am a newbie and understand they are different genes but thought the mix could be fun. Can you tell me why it causes bad traits? Thank you.
First we breed back to black because they have the BEST type. That is a HUGE deal in Lavenders. When you breed blue you add in things you don't need to in Lavenders. Lavenders breed true as do blacks BUT Blue only breeds true 50% of the time. Breeder usually don't use black birds that come from blues they are culls.... so are splash. You could have splash pop up in your lavenders and you just don't need those issues. When someone buys birds they expect them to be correct and breed like they should. If you use a blue it will be somewhat hidden in the lavender and then someone else will have to deal with the fact that the birds were not breed properly. Why would you need to breed them to blues? Lavender to either lavender or black no need to muddy the waters.

The cross you are talking about would not produce lavenders. You would have to breed those chicks back to lavender to see any lavender.

If you are in Nashville how are you going to breed them? You can't have roosters and in East Nashville I can't imagine that would fly with the neighbors. If you spit over there you can spit on your neighbor.

You need to join us on the Middle TN thread!

First we breed back to black because they have the BEST type.  That is a HUGE deal in Lavenders.  When you breed blue you add in things you don't need to in Lavenders.  Lavenders breed true as do blacks BUT Blue only breeds true 50% of the time.  Breeder usually don't use black birds that come from blues they are culls.... so are splash.  You could have splash pop up in your lavenders and you just don't need those issues.  When someone buys birds they expect them to be correct and breed like they should.  If you use a blue it will be somewhat hidden in the lavender and then someone else will have to deal with the fact that the birds were not breed properly.  Why would you need to breed them to blues?  Lavender to either lavender or black no need to muddy the waters. 

The cross you are talking about would not produce lavenders.  You would have to breed those chicks back to lavender to see any lavender. 

If you are in Nashville how are you going to breed them?  You can't have roosters and in East Nashville I can't imagine that would fly with the neighbors.  If you spit over there you can spit on your neighbor.

You need to join us on the Middle TN thread!

Thanks DMRippy,

Good info. I will stick with the blues. I have a homemade 'no crow' collar that muffles him quite a bit and he's happy. He stays in his coop till after 8 in the mornings and can't hear him at all then unless you're next to the coop.

We also have a 1/2 acre yard and neighbors 2 doors down with chickens, so neighbors probably don't know where the sound is coming from. With his collar, he's quieter than the dog across the street that barks all day and night,very high pitched, and no one complains.

We ate our Dominique Roo, he was terrible, but our Ameraucana is too good looking and docile to get rid of just yet.

We are moving to Madison to a smaller yard in month, so we'll see if he stays or goes then.

thanks for the info!

Quote: If you are looking for a house in the Middle we have one for sale in Inglewood with almost an acre lot LOL.

Good luck! I would stick with blues for now. If you want Lavender pullet down the road just buy some.... I am sure there is someone near you with them.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom