Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I find it amazing that you were willing to accept the color description the APA has in their standard a couple years ago but don't want to now because of difference of opinion on the name of the color.

Specifically you wanted to call the name lavender and refer to the self blue description listed in the standard. I am sure I can quote you if you would like.

I find it amazing that you were willing to accept the color description the APA has in their standard a couple years ago but don't want to now because of difference of opinion on the name of the color.

Specifically you wanted to call the name lavender and refer to the self blue description listed in the standard.  I am sure I can quote you if you would like.
Hmmmm... Looks like a lot has gone on here since last night. Very interesting insight from all. I guess I will be at odds with the standard since I will continue to breed towards the silver gray shade... I just prefer that color and that is what drew me to lavenders in the first place. I dont show anyway and will just alert people who buy eggs or chicks from me that they are lighter than the APA standard. Actually it might work out in my favor as I typically cull the darker birds.... Who knew... Now I can sell them at a premium! Lol

Contrary to what anyone tells you I haven't changed my tune and below is not just what I said over a year ago and yet today, but the suggestion was made to Sam Brush several years ago. I will continue breeding, selling and exhibiting "lavender" Ameraucanas as "lavender".
smile.png

Quote: by me from my post above and elsewhere...

Last edited:
Hmmmm... Looks like a lot has gone on here since last night. Very interesting insight from all. I guess I will be at odds with the standard since I will continue to breed towards the silver gray shade... I just prefer that color and that is what drew me to lavenders in the first place. I dont show anyway and will just alert people who buy eggs or chicks from me that they are lighter than the APA standard. Actually it might work out in my favor as I typically cull the darker birds.... Who knew... Now I can sell them at a premium! Lol

John from NJ, it is really up to the APA judges which shade of lavender they consider the standard everyone has a different opinion as to the description that is written. The judges will set the tone as to what is the standard shade of lavender. No two birds are exactly alike the same as with the APA judges. What one judge picks is not what another judge will pick but if the bird is outstanding it will command some special attention.

Last edited:
John from NJ, it is really up to the APA judges which shade of lavender they consider the standard everyone has a different opinion as to the description that is written. The judges will set the tone as to what is the standard shade of lavender. No two birds are exactly alike the same as with the APA judges. What one judge picks is not what another judge will pick but if the bird is outstanding it will command some special attention.
And the "self blue" that is really lavender has been defined by the APA/ABA for many years, so it is what it is. I've always used the same criteria for lavender as I have for buff...evenness of color is more important than shade with a preference toward a light silver-gray in lavenders. You'll note that is very similar to the quote, above, from the Dutch bantam book..

Last edited:
just took a look at the link listed above.... is it just me or does the picture of the "self blue" hen in the gallery look really dark to you guys? Looks just like a blue hen without the lacing to me. I cull for birds with that coloration. I am doing something wrong? Shouldn't the color be much lighter?

Looks dark to me, such a small picture, the legs look more like blackish to me also. Looked at it on 2 different computers here
hmm.png

Last edited:
QUOTE: "In contrast to the blue, the colour lavender had no difference in shade between certain body parts. The aim is to achieve an even shade of silver gray all over the body and it is significantly lighter than blue."

Seems like such a clear & simple description. Wish APA/ABA would adopt this criteria for "Lavender". Self Blue & Lavender ARE different. I think the standards should reflect that difference with separate categories. JMHO
1f61c.png

QUOTE: "In contrast to the blue, the colour lavender had no difference in shade between certain body parts. The aim is to achieve an even shade of silver gray all over the body and it is significantly lighter than blue."

Seems like such a clear & simple description. Wish APA/ABA would adopt this criteria for "Lavender". Self Blue & Lavender ARE different. I think the standards should reflect that difference with separate categories. JMHO
1f61c.png
Totally agree.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
The APA says they are self blue but genetically they are lavenders.  Every country calls them lavender except the US APA calls them self blue.  

Ok, that I think I understand... thank you...

Quote: From the Dutch bantam book translated to english.
Lavender

Sorry, but that made it much more confusing...

Back
Top Bottom