Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

It doesnt look as if there will be any problem for Self Blue AM's being accepted by the APA and the APA doesn't care what anyone calls them .....other than how the are described in the APA Standard. They will be called Self Blue in the Standard.....call them anything you like online or anywhere else. Self Blue and Lavender are one in the same.

Walt

Walt, I'm curious... I believe that it takes 5 breeders who have been working with the breed for 5 years and also been members of the APA for 5 years to get a breed accepted, correct? Does that mean it takes 5 years from the petition time as well, or is there an average time it takes any breed to be accepted from the time of petition? Or is there a set time of the year that those decisions are made, like at a yearly meeting?

I won't even ask why there's a lot of 5's in there, lol...

Walt, I'm curious... I believe that it takes 5 breeders who have been working with the breed for 5 years and also been members of the APA for 5 years to get a breed accepted, correct? Does that mean it takes 5 years from the petition time as well, or is there an average time it takes any breed to be accepted from the time of petition? Or is there a set time of the year that those decisions are made, like at a yearly meeting?

I won't even ask why there's a lot of 5's in there, lol...

I know you asked Walt, but I'll stick my nose in here - just for clarification as to the petition for self-blue. :) You can't submit the petition until you have the 5 APA members, who have been breeding the variety for five years and are willing to sign an affidavit to that. Our five member breeder team are Paul Smith (TX), Jean Ribbeck (WA), Barbara Dodington (Ont-Can), Debra Hogan (CA), and Christina Korfus (WA).

In addition to the five APA members who have been breeding the variety for five years at the time of the petition, you should also show that there have been at least two shows with 4-4-4-4 (Cocks-Hens-Cockerels-Pullets). We couldn't quite make those numbers, so we have yet to fulfill that obligation, although I was able to show, with meet reports that accompanied our petition, that we have had self-blues entered in meets across the country, at least since 2009. Once that obligation is met, then Walt can assign the first of two qualifying meets - that's where the 5-5-5-5 shown by APA members come in.

You can read our proposed Standard, as well as the cover letter to APA and the meet reports (the link to the meet reports is in the APA cover letter), at http://www.ameraucanabreedersclub.org/self-blue sop.html

So, theoretically, if we had met the conditions for the 4-4-4-4, we could have had our first qualifying meet this year, the second qualifying meet next year, and be done in two years. It is going to take a bit longer as we still have to get the 4-4-4-4 numbers out of the way before our qualifying meets can be placed.

Last edited:
Although it is difficult, if not impossible, to ascertain the actual dates of when the variety was started, Harry Shaffer was instrumental in the development, as was Michael Muenks. I don't think any of them, alone,  or single-handedly, created the variety.  I know that there was considerable cooperation between John Blehm and Michael Muenks, not sure about Harry Shaffer.

Of course, nearly 20 years have passed since that initial development, and credit should also go to those, like Paul Smith, who continue to bring the variety closer to the standard.

I asked Paul Smith if he was one of the original people to start the breed and he told me no he can't take credit for that. He gave all the credit to Harry,Michael and John Blehm for starting the breed. Paul kind of mixed all of their birds accordingly to help breed the birds according to standards.Its an honor to be on this thread and have communication with John and the creaters of the breed.

I really like Paul. Anybody who gives credit where credit is do is classy. He is great to do business with too.

OK, I am not in it for the money. I have sold very few birds since about 2008 because of the gypsy's that started to promote them for a fast dollar and some of them would love the APA would accept them. So if one wants to call them "Self Blue" that is fine but this thread is "Lavender" and not self blue as such. So hopefully the perfectionist will do such and start a new thread that is "Self Blue" . I could care less if they are accepted or not.

OK, I am not in it for the money. I have sold very few birds since about 2008 because of the gypsy's that started to promote them for a fast dollar and some of them would love the APA would accept them. So if one wants to call them "Self Blue" that is fine but this thread is "Lavender" and not self blue as such. So hopefully the perfectionist will do such and start a new thread that is "Self Blue" . I could care less if they are accepted or not.

So, are you saying that anyone that wants the APA approval is in it for the money?

So, are you saying that anyone that wants the APA approval is in it for the money?

Some probably are and some are interested in making quality. I have had the problem to distinquish which ones are serious breeders in the past with this color and other breeds I have had that is why I am reluctant to sell birds.

How can regular people like me who haven't been breeding for 5 years help?

There are any number of ways you can help, but, right now, the most important thing is to get the birds shown. There is an ABC Meet in Inverness, Florida on October 22nd and it would be great if we had a good turnout of the self-blues! I had planned on attending that show, but with my surgery the second week of Sept, it is doubtful I'll be able to attend. Of course, I don't have self-blues anyway, but was going to try to take some friends' self-blues, who can't make the show themselves.

Money and winning have never been what this has been about for me. It is nice when I'm able to break even on this hobby, but breeding has always been the main reason for being in the fancy.
Our lavenders will get accepted under the wrong name, but that is the doings of those that came late to the party and want to take credit for it. It is what it is as some will say and they will do what they want.
I also think it is ironic that a poster was reminded that this thread title mentions Ameraucanas and not Easter Eggers, while most are silent about the first word in the title being "Lavender" while many have gotten off topic talking about some self blue chickens.

Back
Top Bottom