Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

There are any number of ways you can help, but, right now, the most important thing is to get the birds shown.  There is an ABC Meet in Inverness, Florida on October 22nd and it would be great if we had a good turnout of the self-blues!  I had planned on attending that show, but with my surgery the second week of Sept, it is doubtful I'll be able to attend.  Of course, I don't have self-blues anyway, but was going to try to take some friends' self-blues, who can't make the show themselves.

How far is that from Hollywood Fl? I have many I would love to show. Only problem is I'm taking the family to Gatlinburg Tennessee this weekend and I'm going to Nyc in October so my pto is all used up.

Money and winning have never been what this has been about for me. It is nice when I'm able to break even on this hobby, but breeding has always been the main reason for being in the fancy.
Our lavenders will get accepted under the wrong name, but that is the doings of those that came late to the party and want to take credit for it. It is what it is as some will say and they will do what they want.
I also think it is ironic that a poster was reminded that this thread title mentions Ameraucanas and not Easter Eggers, while most are silent about the first word in the title being "Lavender" while many have gotten off topic talking about some self blue chickens.

Maybe the name will get changed to lavender in the future?

I have read that feather quality can suffer when breeding lav x lav. For someone like me just starting out, what would be a good number of birds to work towards? (Realizing I am just a hobby breeder and want to produce nice birds, not really interested in selling - maybe showing some day.) Would it be best to have a black-split rooster and several lavender hens, or aim for a good lavender rooster and a mix of lav and black-split hens?

Obviously I'm still in the research phase.

As long as i can pay for feed and take my family to dinner and a movie I'm good. I make a sale and give the money right to my wife anyways lol. Its my way of thanking her for allowing me to have 3 coops in our backyard. Something about the beauty of Lavenders is just mesmerizing.

Last edited:
Walt, I'm curious... I believe that it takes 5 breeders who have been working with the breed for 5 years and also been members of the APA for 5 years to get a breed accepted, correct? Does that mean it takes 5 years from the petition time as well, or is there an average time it takes any breed to be accepted from the time of petition? Or is there a set time of the year that those decisions are made, like at a yearly meeting?

I won't even ask why there's a lot of 5's in there, lol...

Susan answered it correctly below your post. There is a lot of fives to insure that the promoters of a breed stick with it for at least five years. The average time for people to stay in poultry is 2-3 years. The APA is looking for a long term commitment and the five year rule will do a good job of insuring that we don't include more breeds that are now basically extinct. People rush to get birds in the Standard and then abandon them to either leave poultry or ......more often get another breed or variety in just to say they did it. There is a lot of ego things going on over these Standard admissions.

The APA wants to insure that due diligence is done and commitment shown for the long haul. There will be no more "drive by" admissions to the APA Standard. By drive by....I mean non APA members getting things added or changed in the Standard and then disappearing from the poultry scene or moving on to their next money making scheme. That's not happening any more...and it happened a lot before we changed the rules.

Has anyone here seen Black crested white Polish? Barred Leghorns? Rose comb or single comb Cuckoo Dorkings? They are in the APA Standard.....but don't exist any longer. If we had the five year rules they would not have been in the Standard.

Walt

Quote:
Quote:

Both breeds of birds used to create the bantam lavender ameraucana are still and were called self blue in the APA and ABA Standard of Perfection at the time of the outcross.

The self blue old English game bantam was accepted by the APA in 1965. The self blue Belgian bearded d'Anver was accepted in 1981.

Both breeds of birds used to create the bantam lavender ameraucana are still and were called self blue in the APA and ABA Standard of Perfection at the time of the outcross.

The self blue old English game bantam was accepted by the APA in 1965. The self blue Belgian bearded d'Anver was accepted in 1981.

Was that before the lavender gene was "discovered"? The lavender gene is a fairly recent...(in the scheme of things)....discovery.

Walt

The gene was already discovered Walt, people just chose to call it something else, self blue. :)

Just goes to show the lavender/self blue name is interchangeable and whatever you call it, it is a personal preference in terms.

If lavender was truly different, then those self blue birds would not have been used to create the lavender ameraucana. It's one in the same folks.

The gene was already discovered Walt, people just chose to call it something else, self blue. :)

Just goes to show the lavender/self blue name is interchangeable and whatever you call it, it is a personal preference in terms.

If lavender was truly different, then those self blue birds would not have been used to create the lavender ameraucana.  It's one in the same folks.

When was the lavender gene discovered? I thought it was around that time.

You are correct, self blue and Lavender are the same.

Just goes to show the lavender/self blue name is interchangeable and whatever you call it, it is a personal preference in terms.

If lavender was truly different, then those self blue birds would not have been used to create the lavender ameraucana. It's one in the same folks.

Sorry, Jean and Walt my birds did not come out of self blues but were decedents of birds called Lavender Araucanas.

When was the lavender gene discovered? I thought it was around that time.

You are correct, self blue and Lavender are the same.

The UK had lavenders araucanas since I believe about 1930's from a shipwreck on a remote island of the UK well before anything in the USA were called self blues.

Back
Top Bottom