Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Do this chick look lavender? I have a lavender rooster, but no lavender hen.
The hen was either a blue Ameraucana or a black from BBS Ameraucana. I didn't think you could get lavender without both parents being lavender. I know it's an easter Egger now because it's not pure. I was trying to hatch olive eggers, but the lavender Ameraucana got in with the blue egg layers (purebred ameraucanas and a couple Easter eggers) at some point!

Last edited:
The hen was either a blue Ameraucana or a black from BBS Ameraucana. I didn't think you could get lavender without both parents being lavender. I know it's an easter Egger now because it's not pure. I was trying to hatch olive eggers, but the lavender Ameraucana got in with the blue egg layers (purebred ameraucanas and a couple Easter eggers) at some point!
Lavender is recessive, but blue is partially dominant, so that chick is blue from your blue hen. It carries the lavender gene but does not express it.

For future reference, in case you ever need it, Black x Lavender= 100% splits. The chicks would be visually black, but they would be "split to lavender" and carry lavender. You would want to keep black splits separate from a blue, black, splash breeding program, because visually they would look just like black chicks, so you wouldn't know who is who. :)

You can get lavender from a lavender x lavender mating, split x lavender mating, or split x split mating. I'll attach a chart to help visually explain it. Hope that helps!

Good luck with your olive eggers!

Last edited:
For future reference, in case you ever need it, Black x Lavender= 100% splits. The chicks would be visually black, but they would be "split to lavender" and carry lavender. You would want to keep black splits separate from a blue, black, splash breeding program, because visually they would look just like black chicks, so you wouldn't know who is who. :)

You can get lavender from a lavender x lavender mating, split x lavender mating, or split x split mating. I'll attach a chart to help visually explain it. Hope that helps!

Good luck with your olive eggers!
So the chick is still pure right? Not an EE.

So the chick is still pure right? Not an EE.

Since the author stated that the lavender rooster got in a pen that houses Ameraucanas as well as Easter eggers, I personally would consider all chicks to be Easter eggers since it is unknown which chicks came from which hen (definitively). :)

(You could infer that the grayish looking chick that is in question is not the result of the lavender ameraucana rooster mating with a black ameraucana, as that mating would produce chicks that are visually black but split to lavender. If it came from the lavender rooster mating with a blue ameraucana hen, I would not recommend using it in a lavender breeding program. Lavender and black breed true, but blue does not. Using it in a lavender program would make the gene pool muddy, so you could see some unexpected things pop up in offspring. It could also make it hard to tell the two colors (lavender and blue) apart in future generations, depending on the genetic makeup of the chick, and whether it has one copy of blue and two copies of lavender, etc),

IMO, It's best just to stick with only using blacks and lavenders in a lavender breeding program, so as to prevent unnecessary headaches.
1f600.png

Last edited:
Since the author stated that the lavender rooster got in a pen that houses Ameraucanas as well as Easter eggers, I personally would consider all chicks to be Easter eggers since it is unknown which chicks came from which hen (definitively). :)

(You could infer that the grayish looking chick that is in question is not the result of the lavender ameraucana rooster mating with a black ameraucana, as that mating would produce chicks that are visually black but split to lavender. If it came from the lavender rooster mating with a blue ameraucana hen, I would not recommend using it in a lavender breeding program. Lavender and black breed true, but blue does not. Using it in a lavender program would make the gene pool muddy, so you could see some unexpected things pop up in offspring. It could also make it hard to tell the two colors (lavender and blue) apart in future generations, depending on the genetic makeup of the chick, and whether it has one copy of blue and two copies of lavender, etc),

IMO, It's best just to stick with only using blacks and lavenders in a lavender breeding program, so as to prevent unnecessary headaches.
1f600.png
Thank you! That was really interesting. So when my chicks come, can I house the whites with the Lavenders? What would that mating produce? Would they be EE even though all chicks are pure?

Thank you! That was really interesting. So when my chicks come, can I house the whites with the Lavenders? What would that mating produce? Would they be EE even though all chicks are pure?

I don't recommend mixing whites and lavenders... there is already a lot of recessive white hiding in many lavender and blue and black lines... I've had it pop out of my own... it's going to take many generations for me to separate out and breed clean again, but I'll probably always have the chance of whites popping up...

If you have clean lines to start with, it's really best to keep them that way... a project on the side is one thing, but I would not muddy your lines unnecessarily... jmo...

I don't recommend mixing whites and lavenders... there is already a lot of recessive white hiding in many lavender and blue and black lines... I've had it pop out of my own... it's going to take many generations for me to separate out and breed clean again, but I'll probably always have the chance of whites popping up...

If you have clean lines to start with, it's really best to keep them that way... a project on the side is one thing, but I would not muddy your lines unnecessarily... jmo...

I agree with RavynFallen. I wouldn't muddy the lines if it isn't necessary. I would keep them penned separately if possible. :) It can be done, and I know of one well known breeder that has done it to improve color, but it would take quite some time to get rid of the recessive white (so it could pop up randomly).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom