Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I will try to tackle the question regarding the split feathers that look like you took a scissors to them....

I have found my lavenders to have a much softer, more delicate feather than any pure blacks I have raised. I believe they are more susceptible to what is known as mechanical damage as a result. Mechanical damage can occur when a bird damages their feathers by repeated contact with something such as wire fencing or caging fabric, which splits the feathers and the damage remains until the bird molts and grows new feathers. If the mechanical cause of the damaged feathers is not corrected, the new feathers that grow in after a molt will soon be damaged also.

In my situation, a common place I see mechanical damage is on the saddle area of the hens and pullets, where the feathers are damaged by the male during breeding. You can see this type of damage in the picture below....

When this female was separated from the male, her feathers did molt and were replaced by gorgeous feathering in the saddle area where previously frayed feathers had been.

Now, I have read that there is a gene present in some lavenders that is responsible for brittle feathers. I do not believe I have dealt with it here.

Regarding the bird you asked about....be sure, first of all, that you aren't seeing mechanical damage. If you think your bird has an issue, and you have others to work with, the easy answer is to eliminate it from your genepool.

Some think the answer to preventing feather issues with lavenders is to breed the lavenders back to black. And with the good blacks available out there, what can it hurt?

Mechanical damage can also occur when the individual is picked by other birds in the same pen. So make sure that's not what is happening to her. It is very common in juvenile pens, where either boredom or perhaps a need for some extra protein (yes, they eat those feathers) drives them to do this. "Peepers" are easily applied and can be a quick fix for that problem. Once they are older and possibly in a free range setting where they are less likely to pick, you may be able to remove them. Sometimes the picking is a result of the birds attempting to rearrange the pecking order, too. Birds are quirky.

I will try to tackle the question regarding the split feathers that look like you took a scissors to them....

I have found my lavenders to have a much softer, more delicate feather than any pure blacks I have raised. I believe they are more susceptible to what is known as mechanical damage as a result. Mechanical damage can occur when a bird damages their feathers by repeated contact with something such as wire fencing or caging fabric, which splits the feathers and the damage remains until the bird molts and grows new feathers. If the mechanical cause of the damaged feathers is not corrected, the new feathers that grow in after a molt will soon be damaged also.

In my situation, a common place I see mechanical damage is on the saddle area of the hens and pullets, where the feathers are damaged by the male during breeding. You can see this type of damage in the picture below....

When this female was separated from the male, her feathers did molt and were replaced by gorgeous feathering in the saddle area where previously frayed feathers had been.

Now, I have read that there is a gene present in some lavenders that is responsible for brittle feathers. I do not believe I have dealt with it here.

Regarding the bird you asked about....be sure, first of all, that you aren't seeing mechanical damage. If you think your bird has an issue, and you have others to work with, the easy answer is to eliminate it from your genepool.

Some think the answer to preventing feather issues with lavenders is to breed the lavenders back to black. And with the good blacks available out there, what can it hurt?
That is almost exactly what she looks like! Thanks! I think I will try her with a split or a black and track the chicks. I will report back! Like you said... it can't hurt. I think she has been that way since she feathered in. If it breeds forward I will make changes then. I have to do some test mating with my Black Roo and see if he is throwing straight combs. I was told an egg from his sister hatched straight.
fl.gif
he is really nice and I would LOVE to use him for type.

Great to see this thread! I am a BRAND new breeder but sucking up all the knowledge I can. I am a member of the ABC as well. I have nothing against the ABC forum, I simply find this one easier to navigate and communicate on.

I have my first 5 Lavender Ameraucanas. They are 6 weeks old today.

I'm wondering if fertility issues are common with lavenders. I started with 30 eggs, not shipped, so that can't be an excuse. They were fresh and handled properly. The breeder told me she was having fertility issues with one of her cocks so she added a second and believed she had solved things. However, out of those 30 eggs, less than half even made it to lockdown. 7 hatched - 2 with help. I had to cull two chicks with crossbeak. So I'm left with 5. Thankfully, I have a very nice black cockerel from Jean Ribbeck (and I have black hens) so I will immediately cross out with those but I'm wondering if fertility/hatchability is an issue with lavenders. I also have lavender Silkies. Had to cull one of those with crossbeak as well.

Great to see this thread! I am a BRAND new breeder but sucking up all the knowledge I can. I am a member of the ABC as well. I have nothing against the ABC forum, I simply find this one easier to navigate and communicate on.

I have my first 5 Lavender Ameraucanas. They are 6 weeks old today.

I'm wondering if fertility issues are common with lavenders. I started with 30 eggs, not shipped, so that can't be an excuse. They were fresh and handled properly. The breeder told me she was having fertility issues with one of her cocks so she added a second and believed she had solved things. However, out of those 30 eggs, less than half even made it to lockdown. 7 hatched - 2 with help. I had to cull two chicks with crossbeak. So I'm left with 5. Thankfully, I have a very nice black cockerel from Jean Ribbeck (and I have black hens) so I will immediately cross out with those but I'm wondering if fertility/hatchability is an issue with lavenders. I also have lavender Silkies. Had to cull one of those with crossbeak as well.
I have a similar problem with my lavenders. Not really a fertility issue I don't think. They all develop and die at various times. MOST die near or after Lockdown.... I did an eggtopsy once and all but one egg had chicks, fully formed, just didn't make it for some reason. All my other eggs hatch just fine under the same conditions.... It is just with my Lavenders. I get maybe 15-25% hatch with them and near 100% with the others I don't get it????? I am going to start adding vitamins and when I start hatching again in a couple of months MAYBE that will help. ( have a pic if anyone wants to see it and try to help )

ANY BODY ELSE SEEN THAT PROBLEM OR SIMILAR??????

DMRippy,
You may need to trim your Lavender Ameraucanas since they may still be a little fluffy.
I rarely have a clear egg... they just day at about day 18ish..... I will keep that in mind if I have clear eggs. I have even checked out some AI stuff LOL thanks.... glad you are hanging around to help!

Cindy,
Is that hen from using Smith's birds over the lavenders? Feathering looks nice.
Harry this is one of my original birds hatched from your eggs lol!!! She is nice and hasn't been culled after several years so that should tell you something.

I have a couple of lavs now that are the resulting offspring from my Smith splits. I will post pics later when I take some. I have one female I like pretty well. I did learn from breeding half brother to half sister from same cock that recessive white is in the genotype. I'm growing out two of those white ones just because I think they are interesting. I don't know if they are genetically lav or splits, but phenotypically they are WHITE. The leg color is very light; lighter than the lavs.

Back
Top Bottom