Lavender Orpington project ....

I know we usually wait until chicks feather out. But is there anything we look for when they are young? Leg color maybe? Picture quality is poor due to ORANGE heat lamp and wrestling with two year old toddler while doing the photos. lol. No yellows on the chest like I've seen in other photos and the feets are both black and pink.

Marans are the black chicks. Ignore those.

84523_lavenders1.jpg

84523_lavenders2.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have seen some eBay egg listings that state the breeding pen has Blacks, Lavs and Blues and splashes in it. You may have some splash or mixed colors. Some breeders just do not understand the difference in the Self Blue (Lavender) and the Blue/Splash genes.

Quote:
I have seen some eBay egg listings that state the breeding pen has Blacks, Lavs and Blues and splashes in it. You may have some splash or mixed colors. Some breeders just do not understand the difference in the Self Blue (Lavender) and the Blue/Splash genes.

Still learning myself!

Last edited:
Blue and Lavender (self blue) are two different genes. Blue mostly dilutes black and has a laced appearance, and lavender dilutes the expression of both black and red (eumelanin and phaeomelanin) areas of the plumage...but in reference to the lav orps results in an even light bluish grey.

Blue (Bb) (incomplete dominance)
Blue to Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
Splash to Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash to Black = 100% Blue
Splash to Splash = 100% Splash
Blue to Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black to Black = 100% Black

Self Blue(lavender) (recessive)
Self Blue + Self Blue = 100% Self Blue
Black + Self Blue = 100% Blacks, all carrying Self Blue
Black (carrying Self Blue) + Black = All black, 50% carrying Self Blue
Black (carrying Self Blue) + Black (carrying Self Blue) = 75% Blacks [50% carrying Self Blue, 25% pure Blacks], 25% Self Blue
Black (carrying Self Blue) + Self Blue = 50% Blacks [all carrying Lavender], 50% Self Blue

I just received 17 day-old lavenders, and the seller included 3 "unrelated blacks in case you want to breed them." Since the lavender x lavender produce all lavenders, wouldn't I want to acquire a lavender rooster elsewhere instead of introducing the black gene? Am I missing an opportunity if I don't save a black roo for breeding purposes?

If the black has better "type" then it is worth keeping IMO. When working on a new color you need to keep crossing back into a "pure" bird to improve the type of the project. I have a lav pullet and a lav cockeral. I will put him over a couple of really nice black imported english girls when they grow up...

Back
Top Bottom