Lavender Orpington project ....

While I was at work my significant other decided to build a bigger area for my babies. What I came home and found looks like a playpen with a shed over part of it. Question is will it keep them safe from predators or should I stick them back in the cage until I can get wire over the top of it?

Please post a photo so we can see the coop.

Don't have a camera to do the photo. sorry but imagine a 8x8 square wire frame with a 8x2 overhang made of tin. And no gate or door to allow a human access to the chicks or allow for fertiliewr removal. And no wire top to prevent access from climbing predators or flying predators

Don't have a camera to do the photo. sorry but imagine a 8x8 square wire frame with a 8x2 overhang made of tin. And no gate or door to allow a human access to the chicks or allow for fertiliewr removal. And no wire top to prevent access from climbing predators or flying predators

A tightly attached tarp will work on the top. We used a tarp on a pen for two years. Just replaced it last month.

You must have a gate. Check out your lawn Sears or riding mower dealer. They will give you the old crates and pallets to just haul them off. We sued one to build a recycled crate coop and used a freezer pallet as the door.

Your coop may not be what you want, but at least he built it. You can tweek it to better fit your needs. Here is our recycled crate coop. We have now painted over the old campaign signs and have replaced the feed sack roof with metal. The waterer is a recycled 5 gal peanut oil jug with a hole in the front. The feeder is a recycled rabbit feeder. the brick keeps free range birds out of the feeder. The fencing was end of roll and scraps. the roosts came as is and we installed it just as it was.

Oh, and to keep this on topic.... the birds are Orpington Splits and have produced some very nice Self Blue offspring this season!

900x900px-LL-edd167c5_47716_lawnmower_crate_coop_2.jpeg

Last edited:
Just wanted to share that I took 3 of my 16 week self blue Orps to our county fair as we usually have an APA judge. She really liked the shape/size of the birds but only liked the more solid colored one with darker eyes enough to make comments on the card. I still received 2 blues and a red on the birds and the judge gave me a best variety on the non-stripy one that she liked. I did chat with her a little and she mentioned some very light baring on the cockrel and one of the pullets. I know what she is talking about. I'm taking those 3 and one more cockrel to the next show that is more of a district fair. I just call the Superintendents and make sure they have room for non-standard varieties and usually they need more large fowl and are happy to have them (as long as I don't get carried away). After that I am checking into taking birds to one of our state fairs. Have not done that in almost 15 years. Then of course our fall shows get going after that. Happy show season to everyone!

i woukd love to hatch the orpingtons but i cant find anyone local that sells hens or even the chicks!!! i think they r the most beautiful and softest chickens!!!

i woukd love to hatch the orpingtons but i cant find anyone local that sells hens or even the chicks!!! i think they r the most beautiful and softest chickens!!!
We shipped 6 eggs to South Carolina from Arkansas. These below are some of the five that hatched. If eggs are well packed and properly labeled hatches can be good. We have received eggs packed upside down and only hatched one viable chick. Proper packing is the key with fresh and fertile eggs.

We have some Self Blue/Split eggs available. Been getting about 50% lavender hatching from them.

These are not Lavender, but are proof shipped eggs can do well.These are now about 16 weeks old.

Last edited:
Our current Self Blue breeding pen is this male with a 50% Cecil Moore Black Orp hen. We are seeing a high % of Self Blue/lavender offspring. This photo was taken in March 2012. Their offspring is indistinguishable from pure Black Orps. Glad we toe punch.

b30ce3602D25b02D48882Da2982D7c150cebbcd5SBOrp1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom