Lavender Orpington project ....

I agree with renee. I have shipped eggs clear to alaska and had good hatches. However i have ordered eggs from one state over and had nothing. Its far more important how fresh they are, how they are packaged and allowing them to rest after arrival. Also, be super super careful about where you're getting eggs. Make sure you are seeing pics of breed stock. I am working on adding new lines to my project and i am quite dishartened that there are so many sellers but so few who are doing anything to increase the quality.
Go look at HeirloomOrpingtons.com to see Marc's stock. Even if you don't want the English Orp look, putting one in your flock will bring you bigger size and longer skirts, big fluff and lovely little heads with small combs. And huggable...don't forget how huggable English stock are...pardon me, while I go hug my birds.

I started to sell off all my lavender orps last year because the chicks weren't selling around here as well as I had hoped. And there are quite a few people along them. But I find the hatching eggs do go pretty good online. I know in some areas people are still getting $9 per chick. The people selling on Craigslist in my area ask $5. But you do have to watch the quality.

Last edited:
I think that this bird cotain a little bit of cuckoo aswell which would make her a lavender cuckoo orpington.
goodpost.gif

This week i am going to pick up two more orpingtons from one of the biggest supplier of orpingtons in england, the only problem is which type do i get?

Could someone explain the mottled gene to me please.
I know that this has been talked about throughout the 194 pages of this thread I just don't have the time to read them all again!
Plus, next week I will begin collecting my Lav orp eggs to hatch and I would like to know as much as I can.
Here are my questions so far
1. Does the mottling show up in Lav X Lav breedings or in Lav X Black?
2. What does it look like as a hatchling?
3. What does it look like fully developed?
Pics plz!!

Thanks all !!
~Anne

Could someone explain the mottled gene to me please.
I know that this has been talked about throughout the 194 pages of this thread I just don't have the time to read them all again!
Plus, next week I will begin collecting my Lav orp eggs to hatch and I would like to know as much as I can.
Here are my questions so far
1. Does the mottling show up in Lav X Lav breedings or in Lav X Black?
2. What does it look like as a hatchling?
3. What does it look like fully developed?
Pics plz!!

Thanks all !!
~Anne

I have both Lavender and Black mottled birds. There is a thread for the mottled birds somewhere. I will find a link to it for you and repost it. When the mottled chicks hatch they are all yellow with a small spot of black or lavender on their back and sometimes head. I have more pics than the ones below on my Facebook page in my Orpingtons album: https://www.facebook.com/BrandisFancyFeathers

Back
Top Bottom