Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
No that wouldn't do it from my point of view. Using a black won't make him a splash or blue orp if the lavender was pure. Someone has let a blue or splash in the pen with the lavenders maybe. Using black would not cause your bird to look like that, black does not carry a gene is why they are used all the time to further the lavender type to look like Orpingtons. Lavender birds on good blacks make a % of plain black, split black that carries a lavender gene and pure lavender color. My two cents on my breeding project.

The bird pictured is blue, not lavender. The red leakage is common on blue orps, from what I hear. A lavender would not be able to show rusty coloring. You may want to post pics of the others to be sure they are lavender. I have seen folks advertising lavender, but the birds are actually blue or splash. Some do not understand there is a difference. Others are using blue in the project, which can add to the confusion.

Wow, thanks guys! I almost made a bad mistake in keeping him! I will try to take pics of the others tomorrow. There is one of the hens in the background of that picture. The rest look like her. I think I am just going to look for some quality later generation eggs and start over. Well actually, I had already started looking. Back to square one ....
idunno.gif
smack.gif

Last edited:
Well ... those are beautiful. However, I have neither the know how nor the resources to undertake such a massive project. While chicken math may come naturally to me, chicken genetics do not!
wink.png
Furthermore, after two attempts that ended up with birds with major issues (I think I will just have to cull one roo and one mottled hen out of this batch, but a previous batch I got of another breed resulted in almost no usable birds ... think MAJOR MAJOR issues, like not even close ... like red and black instead of wheat colored) I am not sure I even have the ability to identify a good source for beginning birds!Therefore, I will stick to trying to find some late generation lavs that are already great birds and I can work on without getting way over my head. Thanks for the input though, I happen to know someone in Alabama with a roo that looks just like that one free to a good home if you are around to pick him up!
wink.png
smile.png

By the way, we had a slow drizzle all day long today, so I wasn't able to get any good pics. I will keep trying though. While the rest of the birds are really light bodied, I noticed that some have very dark heads ... don't know if that is normal or not but would so greatly appreciate you guys help figuring it out.

Thank you so much, everybody!
smile.png

Quote:
Since your here, The blacks I have from you are huge and round. Should I breed them back to the lavenders to work for the same size factor? The Lavs are nice of course but the blacks are really big. I'll try to get pics.

Rancher

Quote:
Since your here, The blacks I have from you are huge and round. Should I breed them back to the lavenders to work for the same size factor? The Lavs are nice of course but the blacks are really big. I'll try to get pics.

Rancher

My Orps have been the opposite. My Lav roo is a monster and he is only 6 months old. He did learn to crow today...though it actually sounded like he was yodeling, I have a pair of Lav. Orps and a Blue from the same clutch. The breeder I bought the eggs from suggested my adding the Eng. Orps for better fluff. So I have a pair of those as well. I love orps but they are eating me out of house and home!

Back
Top Bottom