Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
Cute! Do you know how old they are? The two bigger boys look like they may be a little older based on comb and wattle development, so I'm thinking 4 boys and 2 girls.

D&S, that's a nice looking black rooster.

thank you!

When a lav is crossed to a black, as several of you are doing to improve type, at what point are you back to self-blue? If that is not the correct term, when is it that you can once again breed lav to lav and always get lav? If you only use the lavenders that come out of the cross (first generation), will they already be there?

Quote:
Cute! Do you know how old they are? The two bigger boys look like they may be a little older based on comb and wattle development, so I'm thinking 4 boys and 2 girls.

D&S, that's a nice looking black rooster.

The two I got from you are very much like it. I intend to breed them to my BBS from AL and a couple of the Lav hens.

Thanks for the nice blacks.
big_smile.png

Rancher

Quote:
We had planned on doing that, but 3 months after paying for the English chicks we suddenly just got our money back. No explaination. Didn't want a refund, we wanted chicks! I would have waited a year if I had to, but apparently we were not worthy
hit.gif

I am really not happy with the type I have seen on lavs, that's why I wanted some black English or part English.
Even ones bred from splits are still too narrow. They look like soft-feathered Rocks.

Quote:
Lavender and self-blue are the same color. The lavender is a recessive gene, so any visually lavender bird (not to be confused with blues) will produce 100 % lavender if bred to another visually lavender bird. The black/lav pairing produces all visually black birds carrying one lav gene. When you breed these splits together, you end up with (statistically) 25 % lavender , 50 % splits, and 25 % black birds. At this point, to my understanding, there is no way to distinguish the splits from the 100% blacks without intensive breeding efforts. However, the pure lavender are easy to pick out, since they are lavender.
smile.png

Hope that clears things up for you!
smile.png

The APA standard of perfection has pictures of appropriate orp type. That really is the best to go by. For in-person comparison, I use my black and buff orps as excellent examples for breed conformation.

Quote:
Lavender and self-blue are the same color. The lavender is a recessive gene, so any visually lavender bird (not to be confused with blues) will produce 100 % lavender if bred to another visually lavender bird. The black/lav pairing produces all visually black birds carrying one lav gene. When you breed these splits together, you end up with (statistically) 25 % lavender , 50 % splits, and 25 % black birds. At this point, to my understanding, there is no way to distinguish the splits from the 100% blacks without intensive breeding efforts. However, the pure lavender are easy to pick out, since they are lavender.
smile.png

Hope that clears things up for you!
smile.png

Perfectly clear, THANK YOU!
I agree, hinkjc, that yours ARE the standard. I just came in from the barn. I had planned to gift my buffs from you (6 mos old) out to family this fall since I now have a start in lavenders, blacks, and English Orps. But now, no way! I hope to not be without your line of buffs again. Big, beautiful, standard, gentle (have to nudge with my feet to get to the feeder)....and each one looks like a clone of the next.

Wake up folks!

Lets get this thraed back alive.

Who is getting eggs from 2011 hatches? We have some early hatch splits that we are watching daily for eggs. Just as soon as the pullet eggs are layed we will start hatching them. The splits have good Orpington type and size.

How are others marking their lav project chicks from tehir pure Black Prp chicks?

Back
Top Bottom