Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
I love the lavender Orpingtons.  I had intended on buying some eggs off ebay.  However, with the warnings of postal office scrambling and no guarantees of hatching....who can afford $40.00 plus a dozen?  I cannot find a breeder locally so I can guarantee I will have no post office scrambling.  And, as I am new at incubation...I just ordered 3 dozen buff Orpingtons at $4.00 per dozen.  So, we will give those a go.  

I only paid $25 + shipping for my Lav eggs on ebay
..out of the 24 eggs all but 4 were fertile.. Alot of my chicks died tho :( i never hatched in winter before and i blame myself..and i think sense the eggs were not washed my one chick got meriks(?) from the egg shell. iv never had meriks on my property before and the chick was never even near my other birds. So i think she got it from the dirty egg shell.. But who knows!

Last edited:
I only paid $25 + shipping for my Lav eggs on ebay
..out of the 24 eggs all but 4 were fertile.. Alot of my chicks died tho
sad.png
i never hatched in winter before and i blame myself..and i think sense the eggs were not washed my one chick got meriks(?) from the egg shell. iv never had meriks on my property before and the chick was never even near my other birds. So i think she got it from the dirty egg shell.. But who knows!
I dont think its possible for a chick to get mereks from a dirty shell. The parents must of had it in the first place!

I know they cant get it from just the dirty shell..but i was thinking that the hen who laid them had it..or any of the chickens the lady had, had it. Because the chick was never in contact with anything else but the egg. it might not have been merek's, could of been a vitamin defficency.

I know they cant get it from just the dirty shell..but i was thinking that the hen who laid them had it..or any of the chickens the lady had, had it. Because the chick was never in contact with anything else but the egg. it might not have been merek's, could of been a vitamin defficency.
I guess it could have been a vitamin deficiency...
you should look up the symptoms of mereks and a vitamin deficiency. Then you could know for sure!

I
I love the lavender Orpingtons.  I had intended on buying some eggs off ebay.  However, with the warnings of postal office scrambling and no guarantees of hatching....who can afford $40.00 plus a dozen?  I cannot find a breeder locally so I can guarantee I will have no post office scrambling.  And, as I am new at incubation...I just ordered 3 dozen buff Orpingtons at $4.00 per dozen.  So, we will give those a go.  

I am incubating in a towel warmer from a hospital we bought that off of eBay just monitor temp an humity turn eggs at LEAST twice a day an wait 21 days

I guess it could have been a vitamin deficiency...
 you should look up the symptoms of mereks and a vitamin deficiency. Then you could know for sure!

They have almost same symptoms so its hard to tell. I treated her with poultry vitamin drench for about a week and she was able to walk again..i stopped the treatment and she took a nose dive, so i culled her.she was the only onewho acted that way..but she is also the only chick i helped out of the egg..could of just been her fate.

Last edited:
They have almost same symptoms so its hard to tell. I treated her with poultry vitamin drench for about a week and she was able to walk again..i stopped the treatment and she took a nose dive, so i culled her.she was the only onewho acted that way..but she is also the only chick i helped out of the egg..could of just been her fate.
To bad... I have never had to help a chick out of its egg.... I guess it was her fate.... poor chick
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom