Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
Any help sexing this baby chick, he/she is around 2 1/2 weeks, i know is propably soon but theres some people with a good eye here boy or girl?

Ignore the poop:) perfect timing

I have a question for those who know their LOs. I have five 5 week old chicks. We are keeping the roo and one girl. So far it is pretty obvious which is the roo. The rest have much smaller combs and barely any waddles. What I was wondering is two of them that are more likely girls (I hope) have a much darker color on the top of their head that is darker than the rest of the body feathers. One has the same light color as the rest of the body. Would the two with the darker on the head be less or more like the desired color in the breed? Just wondering mainly because my daughter is going to show the one we keep (they are allowing it at our county fair. YAY!).

Any help sexing this baby chick, he/she is around 2 1/2 weeks, i know is propably soon but theres some people with a good eye here boy or girl?

If the age really is 2 1/2 weeks I would say a boy based on there not being tail feathers yet. But doesn't seem to have much of any feathers at this point. By 2 weeks mine had wing feathers, scapular feathers, and the girls had tail feathers. Boys are the last to get tail feathers. Comb doesn't look very big, but I never comb sex. Keep an eye out for tail feathers, that's how I sexed all my Lav Orps and I was 16 for 16.

From just a little comparison my boy isn't called "no tail" no reason at all. Dutchbunny83 is right on that I believe. I got my babies at 4 weeks old. They are now 6 weeks old. Five total. They all looked the same when I got them but the boy had no tail feathers. His comb and waddles became noticabley larger than the other four chicks within a week. They really have gotten HUGE in such a short ammount of time!!!
Edit: I was going to add that all their combs looked alike. You might watch in a few weeks. No telling if your baby is boy or girl for a few more weeks. Cute baby!

Last edited:
I wish you lived closer to me!!!!
I have a trio from the Hink JC lines that are 24 weeks old, and we're in town so I can't keep the rooster.
He's too pretty to go to freezer camp, but if he starts crowing before someone wants him that's what will have to happen :(

Back
Top Bottom