Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
This is a pretty good sized pot and this guy is not close to being full grown. He was kinda ratty here from playing in the mud and going through his first molt but you can get the idea. I agree on most of the american lavs needing work. I am planning to cross a English Orp on these guys. I already went through and crossed my lavs to a black american orpington male that I have that I like the looks of. Takes a few generations because lavender is recessive. My original lavs did not have the stocky bodies that these recent guys have. They definitely had size but lacked stockiness and fluffiness. I am finding these have a softer lavender color than my original lavs that seemed a darker grayish. My females can still definitely use some size but I expect that to improve with the next generation.

This is an old photo. I think they were around 6 mos here. I need to get a new one because they have gotten so much beefier since then lol.
900x900px-LL-1982f37a_IMGP2984.jpeg

My lav orps males that I hatched out with the last batch of Marans are way bigger bodied and deeper chested than the Marans males are now.

Last edited:
This is a pretty good sized pot and this guy is not close to being full grown. He was kinda ratty here from playing in the mud and going through his first molt but you can get the idea. I agree on most of the american lavs needing work. I am planning to cross a English Orp on these guys. I already went through and crossed my lavs to a black american orpington male that I have that I like the looks of. Takes a few generations because lavender is recessive. My original lavs did not have the stocky bodies that these recent guys have. They definitely had size but lacked stockiness and fluffiness. I am finding these have a softer lavender color than my original lavs that seemed a darker grayish. My females can still definitely use some size but I expect that to improve with the next generation.

This is an old photo. I think they were around 6 mos here. I need to get a new one because they have gotten so much beefier since then lol.
900x900px-LL-1982f37a_IMGP2984.jpeg

My lav orps males that I hatched out with the last batch of Marans are way bigger bodied and deeper chested than the Marans males are now.
Very nice looking cockerel.. We have a pretty nice bunch of Lavenders, I think they need the stockiness you are referring to. That is why we will cross our Black English Orp over half our flock this year and work from there.

My lav orps are now laying!!!!
Took exactly 6 months
Unfortunately my beautiful roo is headed to freezer camp. He gets a few days reprieve for me to try and gather some fertile eggs.
But we live in town and he is getting LOUD in the morning! I'm worried about bothering the neighbors too much....

My lav orp rooster started crowing
sad.png

He's 6 months old and hadn't attempted so I thought he'd be a quiet one.
He's getting REALLY loud and crows all day.
Listed as a pair, but no takers around here, and we can't keep roosters in town so he's headed to freezer camp tomorrow.
So sad, Bruce is too pretty to eat!
I was hoping to get some fertile eggs off him first, but the girls still aren't laying...
Dutch, I knew you were trying to rehome your trio and I was interested but am not ready so never said anything. So sorry Bruce has to go!

Took exactly 6 months
Unfortunately my beautiful roo is headed to freezer camp.  He gets a few days reprieve for me to try and gather some fertile eggs.
But we live in town and he is getting LOUD in the morning!  I'm worried about bothering the neighbors too much....

That bites, I am so thankful I get to keep my roosters.

Took exactly 6 months
Unfortunately my beautiful roo is headed to freezer camp.  He gets a few days reprieve for me to try and gather some fertile eggs.
But we live in town and he is getting LOUD in the morning!  I'm worried about bothering the neighbors too much....

Get a rooster collar!

Get a rooster collar!

Is that a real thing???
I once got chicken diapers for my silkie roo and would bring him in the house every morning until he stopped crowing haha. But then he started going all day long...

Thanks for the support everyone!!!

I believe I have a fertile egg for my Lav Orp roo over my BCM hen so that should be interesting if I can get it to hatch...

Awesome, thanks for the link! I will have to give it a try.

Newbie wish you were closer! If this works and I can keep him you can have some eggs if they prove fertile and you want to try hatching them! They're from the Hink JC line, pretty birds! You are the one that got me hooked on Lav Orps!!!

Back
Top Bottom