Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
For the american standard yes. However its not the quality for English. Mine that I posted above is American

English are far larger and have more feathers. They had to change the standard for America because the birds where over heating in hot weather easily. Americans are supposed to be large but not as much feather

A quick update as I just lost the whole post.

What the chicks are coming. Tell them to wait. Oh, this waiting, it's so tiring.
I will tell Collette.

Anything yet? This is like having eyes in the
back of our heads. A pip!

Oh, this is exciting. You shall call her Faith.

Hi! If I can do it, you can. What's taking so long?

Did I look like that too? Meet Hope.

Let me in, I want to see them!

The story is long and sweet, sometime when I have more time, I will tell what happened. This is Ricky and Collette's first chicks. We set only 4 eggs, without candling (I'm learning) 2 hatched, 1 was infertile, or early quitter, 1 had a fully formed dead chick.
hit.gif
Considering all that happened we are very blessed to end up with Faith and Hope.

Last edited:

Lavender and lavender cuckoo chicks.

Oh, they are so cute. So, can you tell the difference at this age as to which ones are cuckoo or should I say, someone that has never seen a cuckoo could they tell? At least now I know even what a cuckoo is, thanks to you.

Oh, they are so cute. So, can you tell the difference at this age as to which ones are cuckoo or should I say, someone that has never seen a cuckoo could they tell? At least now I know even what a cuckoo is, thanks to you.

Yes they have a white spot on their head . The barring gene does that. Can be sexed at hatch like barred or cuckoo in any breed. Males with 2 barring genes have a larger head spot. Females can only have 1 barring gene.

Hi All! Mind if I join in?

I have two little 7 week old Lavender Orpington Cockerels. They are super cute, and my favorites out of my flock (second only to my Polish Pullet.
smile.png
). I would really like to get into breeding these guys, since I love their color and temperament. I'm looking for some more info regarding their genetics and standard. Can they be shown as an "exhibition" breed or are they not able to be shown at all?

They can be shown but the american poultry association does not recognize them. Specific orpington clubs and small groups would let you

Yes they have a white spot on their head . The barring gene does that. Can be sexed at hatch like barred or cuckoo in any breed. Males with 2 barring genes have a larger head spot. Females can only have 1 barring gene.

Oh, that's very cool. So, what did you get more of?

Back
Top Bottom