Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
Hi All! Mind if I join in?

I have two little 7 week old Lavender Orpington Cockerels. They are super cute, and my favorites out of my flock (second only to my Polish Pullet.
smile.png
). I would really like to get into breeding these guys, since I love their color and temperament. I'm looking for some more info regarding their genetics and standard. Can they be shown as an "exhibition" breed or are they not able to be shown at all?
Hi,

Yes, please do join, I hope more do this thread is kinda quiet.
hmm.png
Do you have any pictures? I have to admit, that I love these two for their temperament. We have two kids, a dog, a cat, and lots of little nieces and nephews so we NEED nice, as everyone ALL free ranges together.
lau.gif
I hope that Charlotte and Holly end up being hens, and are as super friendly as Ricky and Collette. I don't know about the standard/type, but then again these were my daughters pick. We are just a family looking for some nice chickens, that lay well. Collette has pretty much laid every day, except when she is broody. I had wondered about these guys being the proper standard or type, but then I realized that temperament means more to us. It would be interesting to hear what others with more knowledge think, out of curiosity only, but some of these threads are brutal, and I would never tell Megan. I do know that their blood line is from Greenfire farm, which I understand people here either love or hate.
idunno.gif
All I know is you gotta love a rooster that watches my son play basketball, baseball, and just enjoys hanging out with the family while Collette takes her break in the coop to lay her egg and get some alone time away from Ricky.

Last edited:
Hello eveyone new to this, but here are my three week old chicks! I think i have two of each

[/IMG]
unfortunately we cant keep any roos so i hope I'm wrong but two are definitely growing differently.

Hello eveyone new to this, but here are my three week old chicks! I think i have two of each

[/IMG] unfortunately we cant keep any roos so i hope I'm wrong but two are definitely growing differently.
Hi,

Nice chicks. Hmm, I am not much help on sexing them. We had 3 hatch last year and it was clear that Rocky (we sold him) was a rooster way before Ricky. In fact we all held out that Ricky was a hen until that day he let out his first crow. Boy, I sure do wish I had taken better pictures of the 3 of ours when they were that age. I do think that your right though. Don't they grow so fast!

[/IMG] unfortunately we cant keep any roos so i hope I'm wrong but two are definitely growing differently.
Well, this is our family guess. 1st one is a rooster the other 3 are girls. Again this is coming from a family that had to have Ricky crow before we knew for sure. This will be interesting as ours are quickly growing up too, even if they are only a week old.

Well, this is our family guess. 1st one is a rooster the other 3 are girls. Again this is coming from a family that had to have Ricky crow before we knew for sure. This will be interesting as ours are quickly growing up too, even if they are only a week old.

Lol well thank you i appreciate it and any guess is better than my own since this is our first time. Let hope its just one!

Thank you for responding, I knew someone would help. I'm going to keep this info for later and watch Megan's more closely this time. Megan just turned 11 (Jack is 8) were helping me decide. I went with them for the final vote.
wink.png

Now mind you, I have some pictures of two silkies that my son got from his teacher posted on here.(Megan's Birthday was Easter and she really wanted a silkie. Jack gave one to Megan for her Birthday and she called her Lily.) Well, long story short this person guesses Lily to be a rooster by pointing out how it has wattles and that Lily is a Louis. I quote Megan, "Well how does she even know that she waddles when she walks, you didn't even send in a video! She will always be Lily to me."
lau.gif
Yes, we are just chicken rookies. The person ended up being a guy to boot. He thought it was so funny and he was kind to Megan and Jack about their chicks. Out of curiosity, who picked out the roosters, or did you both end up picking out one of each?

Last edited:
I recently sold all my orpington flock, with the exception of one adult roo and several chicks that are about 6 weeks old now. One of my chicks came out white, so i can only surmise that my flock has recessive white gene in it. Is this a valid assumption. Is it something expected that they would carry this?
So does my white chick now count as a white orpington, or are those dominant white?

Back
Top Bottom