Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
I recently sold all my orpington flock, with the exception of one adult roo and several chicks that are about 6 weeks old now. One of my chicks came out white, so i can only surmise that my flock has recessive white gene in it. Is this a valid assumption. Is it something expected that they would carry this?
So does my white chick now count as a white orpington, or are those dominant white?

Orpingtons in my experience are recessive white . So yes it counts as a white Orpington . As far as expecting them to carry this no but then it depends on the breeding. It is not uncommon to cross certain colors to gain a benefit . Vigor , type , size are all possible reasons .

Orpingtons in my experience are recessive white . So yes it counts as a white Orpington . As far as expecting them to carry this no but then it depends on the breeding. It is not uncommon to cross certain colors to gain a benefit . Vigor , type , size are all possible reasons .

thank you... i am not really sure what use i would have for a recessive white cockerel but he sure is pretty ..

Oh, they are super cute. thanks for the pictures, I love to see pictures. O.K. I also really like to take pictures of Megan's chickens and make up silly captions. Hey, my kids are almost pre-teen and anytime that I can get a laugh or silly response from them is priceless. ;) Anyway here are the parents, AKA Ricky and Collette. Oh, Ricky what big wings you have. Really, do you have to be so loud. I just want a little alone time. Look dad, I'm getting my wing feathers. Do you think I'm, cute? (This is Charlotte ) I called them Faith and Hope but Megan re-named them, Holly and Charlotte. oh did I forget that they are actually hers.:) Holly Charlotte Tell mom we are growing fast.
They are all beautiful!!!!

They are all beautiful!!!!

Thank you. I have to keep reminding myself that they are not mine. I had NO idea how fun this would turn out. I am a stay at home mom, but my kids are now in school so I find myself taking pictures of Megan and Jacks chickens and writing silly captions they think it's funny. They always rush home asking if anyone replied to my silliness.
I don't understand why when I type my message it looks right but then when it is submitted it changes the layout?

thank you... i am not really sure what use i would have for a recessive white cockerel but he sure is pretty ..

I would love to see a picture of him. Not sure either, but I bet some people would love a white orpington, although, I realize that your trying to keep it lavender.

Below are the Lav Orp chicks we hatched. They are about 3 1/2 weeks old, and I am seeing some differences in their combs. Am I right in assuming that I have 1 female(#1) & 1 male(#2) -or can those differences change? The one with the bigger comb also seems to have less (or slower) feathering. When the photos were taken, chick 1 was peeping & looking around for its hatch-mates. These are my first orpingtons. I tried to get a few different angles.

Thanks in advance for your help & comments.

Our Roo "Diva" at almost 5 Months of age.

English "Gretel" at 4 months.

English "Hansel at 4 months.

Oh, they are beautiful! I love the roo's name. The English ones sure are good looking, I can't imagine how big they must be. By the way what kind of rooster is in your avatar, he is amazing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom