Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
Just wondering, about how many eggs per week can I expect from my lav orp? - She's mostly from English bloodlines if it matters. Do the colors matter or do all orpingtons lay about the same?

So far I'm really enjoying my lav orp. Such a great personality & easily trained! (I'm even considering keeping the roo we hatched....)

That really depends on how their bred. If they were bred well, they should have good egg production for the coloring of the bird. However I know a few strains that have poor production. There is no solid answer. Mine lay 5 times a week typically.

It does look like two roos. How old are they?
They are pretty roos.
Did you try comparing to my pics?
Mine are 8 weeks old this week.
Im still confused with one of mine, sometimes I think hen, the next day I think Roo...
I read that Roosters back and shoulder feathers make the shape of a triangle. I noticed this is true with the two I suspected are Roosters. Not true for the other two. I also noticed just this evening that the hens wing feathers almost touch her tail. But on the roosters they are a bit shorter, don't quite reach their tails...
I hope this helps. Im going to check your pictures again....

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have some new pictures of them, they are now 7 weeks old. Yes, I did try to compare to yours, it's so hard, but due to their size of comb and waddle I guess they both are roos.
sad.png
What keeps throwing me off, is both of these had major tail feathers very early on. These guys are growing up so FAST, nothing slow about these two.

Charlotte Holly Charlotte Holly

Holly Charlotte

Oh, they are beautiful! I love the roo's name. The English ones sure are good looking, I can't imagine how big they must be. By the way what kind of rooster is in your avatar, he is amazing.

Thank You! The avatar is a English Birchen Chocolate Orpington (not my chicken...Yet!
wink.png
).

Here are some updated pictures.

"Diva", he has very long legs, so his name is working out ok.
wink.png

"Hansel", so far he has never been far from "Gretel".

and of course, "Gretel". The Rhode Island Red in the picture is the same age.
They way the Lavender color glows in the sunlight is so amazing.

I would like to get 2 dozen hatching eggs last week of august. We want good layers with good body conformation. Sorry I guess that is what every one wants. we live in Bledsoe Tn. and would not mind a drive if not too too far away. We got a little excited when we found out orphingtons come in lavender.

Back
Top Bottom