Lavender Orpington Thread

I am new to lavender orps. I have a few nice lavender hens and rooster but I also have a BBS rooster that I'd like to try on one of the hens. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what colors I could get.

My lavender guy is very beautiful.
Been handled since he was hatched.
Holy crap is he unpleasant now.
I think he's too heavy to try and hit me, but you can tell he's thinking bout it. Can't chance my littlest daughter going in there with him alone.
The hen, just as sweet as candy.

I've been holding him down and stroking down his hack, but not before he give me a nip or two...hurts dang it, did I mention he's huge...lol

My lavender guy is very beautiful.
Been handled since he was hatched.
Holy crap is he unpleasant now.
I think he's too heavy to try and hit me, but you can tell he's thinking bout it. Can't chance my littlest daughter going in there with him alone.
The hen, just as sweet as candy.

I've been holding him down and stroking down his hack, but not before he give me a nip or two...hurts dang it, did I mention he's huge...lol
LOL I feel your pain!

I have a whole lot of lav orps that I have to down size soon...they are 7 weeks old and I'd love some advice on what traits to look for when picking the ones I want to keep and breed from.
Thanks

I have a whole lot of lav orps that I have to down size soon...they are 7 weeks old and I'd love some advice on what traits to look for when picking the ones I want to keep and breed from.
Thanks

Definitely pick males with no people aggression. You do not want to pass that down to their offspring.

He's lucky he's so purty.
And I have people interested in chicks

Mine was acting that way from 9-11 months old. Then his hormones leveled out, I think. He never truly attacked, but he sometimes tried to hold his ground during that time. I had to pick him up to show him I'm boss. I still don't know if I'm keeping him, but like you I want fertile eggs this spring. He gets at least another 1-2 months here. On the plus side, he's a gentlemen to the hens & is relatively quiet. If his temperament remains calm, he may stay longer.

Definitely pick males with no people aggression.  You do not want to pass that down to their offspring.

Yes believe me, after my rooster did a helicopter attack on the fed ex guy i finally got rid of him (RIR) we were all walking around the property with a stick or a broom!!!
But what physical qualities and coloring etc should look for?

My lavender always walks between my legs like a cat. I have set some of her eggs and I am looking forward to the lavenders, until my roo was up to the task, I was setting other eggs. as you see I like the blue look too.

I hatched 7 between Sat. and Mon. From other farms, (the yellows are actually Blue splashes)
and below is a blue SFH,

Back
Top Bottom