Lavender Orpington Thread

Our guy has thickened up
We need to weight him

Really is an armful.
Looking forward to welcoming 5 of his babies into the world in 7 days

10955625_894634453934595_8542133556149129140_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a whole lot of lav orps that I have to down size soon...they are 7 weeks old and I'd love some advice on what traits to look for when picking the ones I want to keep and breed from.
Thanks

First you ship any you don't want back to me!!!! :) Just kidding, but don't I wish I could!!! Oh wow, how hard to cull... Now, first off can you "weigh" them? or do you have the capacity for this? Could you weigh them on a kitchen scale or could you weigh them with and without yourself on a scale. I always am curious if that would tell you "guy from gal" as well as give you a sense of future growth. I am always nervous about deciding boy from girl in orps...... . Do you already see definite male feathering coming in? If yes, then I'd be keeping the larger sized guys that the best composition and balance of body. Check for how tails and body look, but again know that at this age they are still growing out. Also, do you want run two lines of lav orps or are you wanting one pen, That will certainly make an impact on sorting. Recommend You should have a minimum of one roo backup if you want fertilized eggs.So first sort would be looking at size, conformation and coloring with the lo's.. Some feistiness is good, so a rooster does HIS job, but sometimes it is TOOO much. Sometimes, in a larger environment, roosters will calm down, especially as hens come closer to the age of laying and you've got a ways with that! Hope this helped you some and if you just need more quick space and don't want to be rushed on deciding, remember that pallet pens are quick and inexpensive to make, basically pallets, chicken wire, and door of some sort and a nice covering. Happy Easter!

First you ship any you don't want back to me!!!! :)   Just kidding, but don't I wish I could!!!  Oh wow, how hard to cull...    Now, first off can you "weigh" them? or do you have the capacity for this?   Could you weigh them on a kitchen scale or could you weigh them with and without yourself on a scale.   I always am curious if that would tell you "guy from gal" as well as give you a sense of future growth.  I am always nervous about deciding boy from girl in orps...... . Do you already see definite male feathering coming in?     If yes, then I'd be keeping the larger sized guys that the best composition and balance of body.  Check for how tails and body look, but again know that at this age they are still growing out.   Also, do you want run two lines of lav orps or are you wanting one pen,  That will certainly make an impact on sorting.   Recommend You should have a minimum of one roo backup if you want fertilized eggs.So first sort would be looking at size, conformation and coloring with the lo's..   Some feistiness is good, so a rooster does HIS job, but sometimes it is TOOO much.   Sometimes, in a larger environment, roosters will calm down, especially as hens come closer to the age of laying and you've got a ways with that!  Hope this helped you some and if you just need more quick space and don't want to be rushed on deciding,  remember that pallet pens are quick and inexpensive to make, basically pallets, chicken wire, and door of some sort and a nice covering.    Happy Easter!

Hi Nancy, I don't want to give away ANY they are all so adorable and pretty. At this point I can not tell for sure the males yet so I have moved some of my egg producers around so the lavs could go in a bigger pen. They are so friendly, the mottled is fully lavender now that her feathers have grown out. I just love them ALL! i am going to wait a couple of months and see who's who!
Happy Easter to you too!

Here is a photo I just took of one of my lavender orpingtons =) I also made it my avatar lol

This is a photo of when we just go t them. There are also 2 calico cochins here.
And this little guy appears to be a rooster.

Here is a photo I just took of one of my lavender orpingtons =) I also made it my avatar lol This is a photo of when we just go t them. There are also 2 calico cochins here. And this little guy appears to be a rooster.
They are too cute! Your photos have confirmed that I must hatch some of these! I've been teetering but that Roo has done me in!
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

Here is a photo I just took of one of my lavender orpingtons =) I also made it my avatar lol This is a photo of when we just go t them. There are also 2 calico cochins here. And this little guy appears to be a rooster.
They are gorgeous, he does look like a Roo with his stance and all! He looks ready for his girls!

I can't wait to see my babies, I ve been away a week...I've even been dreaming about them. Does anyone know if they lay better than standard English orpingtons? I'm hoping so!

We put in our Orpingtons very first eggs, I hopes they would hatch.
Well her first egg laid on March 17 hatched this a.m.
it looks like a silvery splash baby. We'll post when it dries off, but it is really a large chick compared to the other one from the sex link egg.

I will have to look up the genetics about lavender to splash.
But we had 5 in 2 more are pipped
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom