Lavender Orpington Thread

Looking to buy a lavender orpington. I'm located in Mobile, al! Would prefer hen. Anyone with leads please let me know!!

As far as is that normal for a lavender the answer would be no. As for what it is. You will probably have to post that on more of an illnesses area probably to get a definite answer to what is wrong.

Yea, I kinda figured after I thought about it.. since that's the only one that looks that way. I appreciate your help. I've posted it in Diseases/Cures etc area.
I also did a better search, looking for knot, bump, lump, tumor, etc. Didn't see much like mine, so maybe someone will have some suggestions for me.

Picked up 24 Lavender Orpington eggs today (broke one now 23). Tomorrow I go pick 12 English Lavender Orpington eggs. The incubator is set and holding 99 to 99.6 and humidity is checking in at 42%. Can't wait to get these girls/boys going!!

I wanted to introduce "Junior," my Lavender Orpington rooster. My plan is for him to meet my three young Lavender ladies later this spring and we'll see what develops:)

I am a bit afraid to ask, but here goes...would you knowledgeable Orpington folks mind sharing your expertise and critique him for me? I would appreciate kindness...but honesty.
I've been reading all I can on the SOP (apparently doesn't officially for the self-blue version). He appears to have some sun bleaching on his neck, and although it's not easily seen, he is missing some feathers at the base of his tail, compliments of "George," senior rooster in the coop.
Anyways, I would appreciate any sharing of knowledge you might offer!
Thanks!
Photos taken early May 2015.

I was just wondering what would happen if I crossed a lavender Orpington rooster with a blue Orpington hen? I have heard of breeding black to lavender but never blue. Thanks!

I was just wondering what would happen if I crossed a lavender Orpington rooster with a blue Orpington hen? I have heard of breeding black to lavender but never blue. Thanks!
Both blue & lav orps can be bred to pure black orps to help maintain good feather quality &/or color. (I'm not a breeder; I just read about it.) Could a lav & blue orp mate? of course. There just wouldn't be much demand for the chicks.

ie Lav x Black = The 1st gen will have black splits (look black but carry the recessive lav gene) That means if you bred 2 of those black orps, 25% could get both recessive genes & hatch out lav - big surprise!!!! 25% could be pure black & 50% would be splits. There's no way to tell a split from black. Because the goal in breeding is to have consistency within the breed, no one would really want to breed blue x lav. That lav gene could go unseen then show up a few generations later to muddy up a future breeding program.

If your idea is to simply to add a few more chickens to your backyard, then go ahead. If you plan to sell the chicks, then it's best to get into lavs or blues. The way they pass down their color to offspring is different for lavs than blues.

Here's a great explanation from someone.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73357/color-genes-punnett-squares

Both blue & lav orps can be bred to pure black orps to help maintain good feather quality &/or color. (I'm not a breeder; I just read about it.)  Could a lav & blue orp mate?  of course.  There just wouldn't be much demand for the chicks.

ie Lav x Black = The 1st gen will have black splits (look black but carry the recessive lav gene)  That means if you bred 2 of those black orps, 25% could get both recessive genes & hatch out lav - big surprise!!!!  25% could be pure black & 50% would be splits.  There's no way to tell a split from black.  Because the goal in breeding is to have consistency within the breed, no one would really want to breed blue x lav.  That lav gene could go unseen then show up a few generations later to muddy up a future breeding program.

If your idea is to simply to add a few more chickens to your backyard, then go ahead.  If you plan to sell the chicks, then it's best to get into lavs or blues.  The way they pass down their color to offspring is different for lavs than blues.

Here's a great explanation from someone.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73357/color-genes-punnett-squares

Actually I used to believe that you would never want to breed a lav and blue together until a fellow who really knows his genetics straightened me out. He said, quote "both black or blue may be used to to improve type and feathers in a lavender breeding programs. Blue is simply black with a dilution gene added. The issue is not genetics but bookkeeping that is the problem. It is the breeders responsibility to keep track of the genetics in his chicks and that they are sold responsibly (ie: not misrepresented) if you sell blue chicks from such a cross, it is important the buyer KNOWS that it is split to lav and what that means if introduced to a blue breeding program"

Back
Top Bottom