Lavender Orpington Thread

I have a question for all of you seasoned Lavender chicken guardians. Are they flighty? I'm picking up a couple of 6 month old hens this afternoon and I'm wondering if they will try to fly over my 6 foot fence when I finally decide they are ready to free range.

Janis

Mine are not flighty at all. Mine are also about 6 months old. They are very large. I'm guessing too heavy to fly because they are the only breed of mine that I haven't had to clip. They don't even try to fly!
I have a question for all of you seasoned Lavender chicken guardians. Are they flighty? I'm picking up a couple of 6 month old hens this afternoon and I'm wondering if they will try to fly over my 6 foot fence when I finally decide they are ready to free range.

Janis

Janis
Mine aren't particularly flighty (6-months old), and as others point out they're pretty large so they'll be vertical-leap-challenged. That being said, I've had to clip wings on two (of six) who flew over 3ft fences, but I see almost no chance for breaching a 6ft fence. That being said, they love being off the ground, and spend plenty of time on top of their 2ft tall run.

Janis

Haa! There is no way! Mine can't even fly over a 3.6ft garden fence.

Janis
lau.gif

Orps are big, cuddly, lap chickens. The only time they run is when I call them (holding treats). The 3' garden fence keeps them out most of the time, but they simply can't fly over our 4' tall property fence. Anyone can simply bend down & scoop up a hen. They are extremely docile.

Thanks everyone. My mind is at ease now. I can't wait to let them free range. How long should I wait? A week, maybe two weeks?

Mine are also about six months old. They are freakin' gorgeous!! I spent all day in a lawn chair watching them yesterday. This pair is not particularly friendly but I plan to bribe them until they love me, as I do all living creatures. They settled in quite nicely, no dog interest other than a couple of sniffs. I have dachshunds are mostly only interested in themselves. All my cats are indoors only.

The only issue so far is they don't like the ramp. I had to lift them into the coop last night and they haven't come out yet today (it's almost 7AM). If they don't come out within the next 30 minutes, I'm going to have to go shoo them out.

Janis

Thanks everyone. My mind is at ease now. I can't wait to let them free range. How long should I wait? A week, maybe two weeks?

Mine are also about six months old. They are freakin' gorgeous!! I spent all day in a lawn chair watching them yesterday. This pair is not particularly friendly but I plan to bribe them until they love me, as I do all living creatures. They settled in quite nicely, no dog interest other than a couple of sniffs. I have dachshunds are mostly only interested in themselves. All my cats are indoors only.

The only issue so far is they don't like the ramp. I had to lift them into the coop last night and they haven't come out yet today (it's almost 7AM). If they don't come out within the next 30 minutes, I'm going to have to go shoo them out.

Janis

They are SO beautiful! My favorite. I would leave them in for at least a week so they know where they roost everynight, otherwise they end up in silly places like the coop roof

Back
Top Bottom