Lavender Orpington Thread

Lavenders are hard to tell, I almost sold a couple of my LO off because I thought they were roos, but one LO hen was just very petite. 12 weeks is a long way off before they will lay eggs anyway, I would just wait and see. I tried to get girls, but I thought LO's are so popular, I would get my money back from the chick even if it ended up being a boy.

To me that looks like a hen.

My hens are 6 and 5 months old no eggs yet. My older hen is molting so no eggs from her... My mutt rooster is working so maybe they will start laying soon.

Last edited:
I could at this age still be either. They are notoriously late to develop. I have some the same age that have me guessing. I could post pics to compare.

The above chick is about 5-6 months old just starting to get red comb, my other hen didn't lay untill the red comb came in. below is her baby pic.

the 2 below were 2 diff. chicks I got earlier in the year...

below is my adult hen who is getting over a molt but was laying...

below is the adult when she was a teen and a frizzle friend.

below is her as a teen again, her comb stayed blackish until she was ready to lay.

Last edited:
sounds like one lucky bird, I have a black rooster with a blondish neck he is young maybe 6-7 months has not crowed just started to breed, I think he may be a brama mix, I don't really want to chose him, but I am waiting for someone "blue feathered" to come up. But he is not crowing, so that is a bonus
he is the little black one in this pic He is not mean and is not mean to the hens.

Back
Top Bottom