Lavender Orpington Thread

So cute do they get along
Not at first. Tootie was a little aggressive towards them. I just checked and saw a Tootie sandwich, lol. By the time I got my camera they had moved
sad.png

Awww sweet!
Nothing like having several little fluffy butts
smile.png

this is my pair of LO.. Edith and Earl. I plan to breed them in the spring. She just started laying around 30 weeks, and he is already a very active boy. He's such a gentle rooster though. Great protector and flock leader.
I hope to breed them after she's been laying for a while and her eggs are bigger.

I received an order of chicks on August 25th, so they're going to be 12 weeks old on Monday. I ordered 5 female chicks (one passed away at 7 weeks old from an unknown cause that started when she arrived ). My lavender orpington has had me concerned about gender, and I figured it can't hurt to get more opinions. She has a fairly small comb that is slightly pink but can occasionally act very much like a cockerel. I've figured that it could maybe be due to the fact the she is just dominant. Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

I just took photos of my 3 month old girl this morning. Yours sure looks a lot like mine. I'm thinking girl!

this is my pair of LO.. Edith and Earl. I plan to breed them in the spring. She just started laying around 30 weeks, and he is already a very active boy. He's such a gentle rooster though. Great protector and flock leader.
I hope to breed them after she's been laying for a while and her eggs are bigger.
LOVE the names
smile.png

I just took photos of my 3 month old girl this morning. Yours sure looks a lot like mine. I'm thinking girl!

She sure is pretty!

We hatched several beautiful Lav Orps this summer. Most had to be sold b/c of limited coop space. Out of all the purebreds, my kids went & fell in love with the backyard mixes we hatched for fun.

Here's the one my son chose. At first he named it "Mine." Later the name was changed to Nemo. The pullet actually seems to enjoy being handled by the kids. (She even seeks them out.) Just yesterday I saw my son with Nemo going for a bike ride up & down the sidewalk.
She's 6 mo old. No eggs yet, but her mom took 8 mo to lay. (We have the English bloodlines. They grow larger & often take a little longer to lay.)

Earlier pics of Nemo. She's a Coro Sussex x Lav orp.

My daughter was supposed to pick out a new lav roo, but she liked the personality of one of the splits better. He's a remarkable boy. Very alert, attentive to the hens, & not at all human aggressive. He started crowing at 3 mo & mating the older hens at only 3.5 months old. I couldn't believe it, but the eggs have been fertile ever since!!! It's not like he's a cuddler. I have hens for that. He's just kind of mellow & doesn't freak out if we pick him up.

Most recent pic below.

I ended up hatching only 3 males (9 females). The lav boy got sold early, so we kept the other split as a back up. The boys do not fight. I guess they worked it out back in their brooder days. The only time I've seen a raised hackle is if the #2 roo chases a hen & causes her to squawk. #1 just jumps in #2's path & the chase is off.

Here's #2 in front. He doesn't seem as filled out as #1 but as he grows he's looking less awkward.

Trying to decide if we should keep the back up or go down to one roo as we had planned On one hand, it's great having 2x the protection, but the limited winter space could be a problem. If keeping one roo, which one is better?. #2 has a softer & less frequent crow. However, he's not as gentle with the hens as #1. #2 is also more skittish. He runs away if we bend down to pick him up or pet him. Roo #1 would make my daughter happy (if he keeps his gentle temperament), and I like his appearance a little more. #1 crows a lot & it's not as pleasant a pitch.

We hatched several beautiful Lav Orps this summer. Most had to be sold b/c of limited coop space. Out of all the purebreds, my kids went & fell in love with the backyard mixes we hatched for fun.

Here's the one my son chose. At first he named it "Mine." Later the name was changed to Nemo. The pullet actually seems to enjoy being handled by the kids. (She even seeks them out.) Just yesterday I saw my son with Nemo going for a bike ride up & down the sidewalk.
She's 6 mo old. No eggs yet, but her mom took 8 mo to lay. (We have the English bloodlines. They grow larger & often take a little longer to lay.)

Earlier pics of Nemo. She's a Coro Sussex x Lav orp.

My daughter was supposed to pick out a new lav roo, but she liked the personality of one of the splits better. He's a remarkable boy. Very alert, attentive to the hens, & not at all human aggressive. He started crowing at 3 mo & mating the older hens at only 3.5 months old. I couldn't believe it, but the eggs have been fertile ever since!!! It's not like he's a cuddler. I have hens for that. He's just kind of mellow & doesn't freak out if we pick him up.

Most recent pic below.

I ended up hatching only 3 males (9 females). The lav boy got sold early, so we kept the other split as a back up. The boys do not fight. I guess they worked it out back in their brooder days. The only time I've seen a raised hackle is if the #2 roo chases a hen & causes her to squawk. #1 just jumps in #2's path & the chase is off.

Here's #2 in front. He doesn't seem as filled out as #1 but as he grows he's looking less awkward.

Trying to decide if we should keep the back up or go down to one roo as we had planned On one hand, it's great having 2x the protection, but the limited winter space could be a problem. If keeping one roo, which one is better?. #2 has a softer & less frequent crow. However, he's not as gentle with the hens as #1. #2 is also more skittish. He runs away if we bend down to pick him up or pet him. Roo #1 would make my daughter happy (if he keeps his gentle temperament), and I like his appearance a little more. #1 crows a lot & it's not as pleasant a pitch.

They are beautiful and what a site that must be... a chicken on a bike. Does he hold her or does she sit in a basket? The picture on the slide it just precious! I'm no expert but I say roo #1 is the better guy. Good luck in your decision.

They are beautiful and what a site that must be... a chicken on a bike. Does he hold her or does she sit in a basket? The picture on the slide it just precious! I'm no expert but I say roo #1 is the better guy. Good luck in your decision.
Thank you. The chicken actually enjoys sitting on the handlebars of our wooden horse swing with my son. (I've even seen her on there w/o any kids in the yard.) My son placed her on the handle bars of his bike where there's a nice grip. He may still need training wheels, but that chicken is fearless. If he decides to go fast, she'll fly away, so he took it slower when she was along for the ride. The backyard where the chickens roam is fenced in, so I'm used to seeing chickens in the treehouse or swingset. The chicken bike ride was a little over the top, though.

Back
Top Bottom