Lavender Patterned Isabel Laced

I don't see it... the comb is a bit 'fuzzy' in the photo...

After all of the comb problems I've had here in the last 2 years, believe me! I can smell a sprig or a Carnation a mile away! Look at the "pimple" on the blade of the comb in the first pic, it stands out pretty plainly to me. Color should NOT take preference over quality or type in any case, especially when you are dealing with a very hard to get rid of problem! Don't take my word for it, call in an APA judge and see what they tell you. You can deal with it now, or you can deal with a bunch of culls for years from now...it's up to you.

I guess I don't know what you mean by side sprig. I have a penedesenca, so I know what a carnation comb is. But I'll have to look into this "sprig" idea. I bought this particular hen from chookschick here on BYC. I haven't used her in a breeding program yet. I was working towards porcelains but have since changed my mind. I want to dilute some partridges with the lavender gene. For now its just for fun.
Maybe I can get a better head shot and have an explanation of what you mean.

Last edited:
I guess I don't know what you mean by side sprig. I have a penedesenca, so I know what a carnation comb is. But I'll have to look into this "sprig" idea. I bought this particular hen from chookschick here on BYC. I haven't used her in a breeding program yet. I was working towards porcelains but have since changed my mind. I want to dilute some partridges with the lavender gene. For now its just for fun.
Maybe I can get a better head shot and have an explanation of what you mean.

Look at the first pic, at the back end of the comb. See that little "pimple" looking protrusion on the side?? That is a side sprig. Do a search on BYC for "Side Sprigs", or look in the APA SOP book to see them. Ask the breeder to look at the pic too, she will, if she is knowledgable, know what it is also. If you still can't see it, run your finger over the back end of the blade on the left side, and you will feel it. I have Carnation combs in my Marans, not a quality I want, it is a DQ in the breed, and it came from people doing and selling "project" birds, before the project was finished. If breeding towards the SOP does not concern you, and you don't intend on selling "breeding worthy" stock, then don't worry about it. If you care for the breed and what you produce to sell to others, you will remove this bird from your breeding stock. JMHO

Ok, this conversation motivated me to go out to the coop and check. She does not have any sprigs. I even tried to feel for one. One of my mottled hens does have 2 on the back of her comb though. So I guess she's out for breeding. I can't believe I didn't notice it till now. All my blacks and lavenders look good.

wow i would never think to look so closely at the comb. it's good to know these things, i am realizing how easy it would be to purchase birds and then later find out they aren't good quality.

Back
Top Bottom