Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Povadine is fine. Don't kill the bird just because it's in pain. I didn't kill myself when I broke my arm. Yes it probably hurts. Yes, it will heal if it doesn't get infected. Animals are way tougher than humans. In my decade and half of vet teching I have seen dogs come into the clinic with appendages missing or hanging by skin and all sorts of horrendous things and the dog will be wagging it's tail, licking you and trying to jump up. That's just an example...but they are WAY tougher. Get it clean- you will need to wash it with povidone soap or soap and warm water, boil it out with peroxide to get any grass, dirt and debris out of the meat. Once you know it's clean, reapply all your stuff and keep it wrapped and covered and away from flies and ants. Keep the bird away from stress such as heat, other chickens, etc and continue feeding some extra protein for the healing. A penicillin shot wouldn't hurt at all either.

Last edited:
Yes, they are way tougher than we give them credit. He is a beautiful bird and it would be nice to get some of his offspring. Now how the heck did he have a 'run in' with a lawn mower, did he attack it?

BTW, you can tell by the way he looks he'll survive if it doesn't get infected.

ok...s o the consensus is I need to go get him and unwrap him (if he is still wrapped) and povadine him?

I have no idea how he got hurt, Mr B just said "he got in th tractor" while he was cutting grass. I don't get it because he isn't hurt anywhere else.

He IS bright eyed and alert.

Yes, I would clean him up tonight as well as you can, then put more antibiotic ointment on it, and keep it wrapped for a few days ( clean and change the bandage daily). Start on systemic antibiotics ASAP.

I hope I am doing the right thing. I went out and cleaned him the best I could (by flashlight, by myself.. and have I mentioned he is huge?). I poured luke warm water over his leg and rubbed it real gently with rag. I don't know how much I actually got off because I didn't want to scrub it. It looked cleaner by flashlight anyway. Then I doused it with Povadine straight ... it must have burned because he pulled his leg away but he was still a perfect gentleman even though I didn't wrap him up / cover his head. Then I coated the sterile bandage and put it on best I could, wrapped it with a self sticking gauze and then a little tape for good measure.
I set the flashlight on top of the wire kennel shining down into it so I could see where to set him on his towel and as soon as I set him down he hopped over and ate the rest of the yogurt. I went in and got him some more, some more egg and a little bit of pellets. I offered him gatorade again and he wasn't interested - just wanted to eat.
I left the light on the kennel to come update and let him finish eating.

Should I change his bandage 2x a day, or will 1x be enough? Maybe just the first day or so 2x?

He is still bright eyed and alert, noticed every shadow, stopped to watch my dogs as they passed by. He had a big poop. His comb is red and erect and his wattle is red and covered in yogurt.

I am headed home (have to use my parents computer) so I will update tomorrow first chance I get. If you believe in prayer, this big guy could sure use some.

hugs.gif
He is lucky to have you!

Quote:
I agree!!!! You are doing the right things to try to help him! I would probably stick to once a day unless you see alot of drainage or it starts to look infected and then bump it up to twice a day. If you have a larger syringe, you can use saline to flush the wound each time you change the dressing. It might be easier to cleanse it this way??? Also if the bandage sticks to the wound when it is time to change it, you can moisten it to make it easier to take off the old dressing and it won't hurt him so much.

Considering how obviously unlucky he is, that is one seriously lucky rooster to have you!
yippiechickie.gif

Many of us would go to considerable lengths for our own flocks, but not someone else's. Dogs and cats get rescued. I do believe and I will definitely be saying a special prayer for the both of you.

I agree that saline wound wash might work quite well. My mother-in-law had this open tunnel thru her calf and that's all I did (after the flesh had "healed") was flush it with saline and pack it with gauze. I know that sometimes you have to be careful of using too much of certain products and saline is safe. You can also get non-stick gauze pads to make sure it doesn't stick to his leg. I would think that at least for a couple of days that that would be an issue. I used the non-stick pads when one of my hens had a broken and bloody leg. I think if nothing else I felt more comfortable .

Good luck with Kubota and may God bless your kind heart!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom