Laws in Chesapeake?

MamaDani

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 26, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
I'm thinking about getting a few chickens but am not having luck on finding out the laws. Anyone know if it's allowed in Chesapeake, VA? Or can direct me where I can find out?

"Owners of exotic animals, including but not limited to monkeys, wolf hybrids, poisonous reptiles, certain non-poisonous reptiles, emus, and llamas must obtain a permit from CACU. The cost is $10 per year per household. (10-49)"

Found that just browsing w/google. It looks like your animal control is affiliated with your police department, so that's who I'd call to ask. I posted the above, because I find it hard to believe that emus and llamas would be allowed, but not chickens...lol. I also found a site about Chesepeake that showed one organization using chickens for mosquito control. Good luck!

I'm in Newport News, and I know that here you have to have the coop 175ft away from any other residence, and 250ft away from any church/school building.
sad.png

Here's what I saw when looking up yours:
§ 6-2004. Horses and other livestock.
Horses and other livestock and animals bred from livestock shall not be permitted in residential zoning classifications unless specifically provided for by other provisions of this zoning Code

When looking for exactly what "livestock" entailed, I found this:

(Ord. No. 98-O-024, 2-17-98)
Livestock, domestic. Animals normally raised on a farm, or as part of commercial agricultural or animal husbandry operation, or normally used for purposes related to agricultural production or commerce, wildlife farms and rehabilitation facilities. Livestock, including animal breeds derived from livestock, shall not be deemed to be pets and may not be maintained as an accessory to a residential use unless specifically permitted under this zoning ordinance. Livestock shall be divided into two (2) groups:
(1) Large animals--including horses, mules, donkeys, llamas, cattle, swine, goats, sheep, and similar breeds.
(2) Small animals--including chickens, except as provided for in the definition of pet, turkeys, and other types of fowl, rabbits, except as provided for in the definition of pet, fish, except as provided for in the definition of pet, and breeds similar to those listed as small animals. For the purpose of this ordinance, the limitations set out in other sections of this ordinance on the number of animals per acre shall apply only to large animals.

You can find the info here, just click on VA and Chesapeake, and then "Chesapeake code of ordinance" to view it online. Once in your ordinance you can do a search for specific words (I typed "poultry") and it will take you to the pages that have that topic, and it'll highlight the word you searched for throughout the document.

Hope that helps...
wink.png

Last edited:
Awww, I'm sorry...
sad.png
The zoning laws really do stink.

You know I was checking out some of the other cities laws around here, and in gloucester, you can have any amouont of chickens no matter HOW small your lot is, and up to 5 cattle on only 2 acres (that don't even have to be next to each other, it can be two different lots that total 2 acres, as long as they're w/in 150 ft of each other!) yet here, someone can have 3/4 -1 acre, and and not even 1 chicken.

There is an article in The Virginian Pilot today (July 30). There is a group, 4 Chesapeake Hens, that is trying to get the zoing laws passed. They will be at the Council meeting on Aug. 14. You can find them on facebook. I am excited that there is an organized group now. I will be joining them. IYoumay already know about this.
Karen

Back
Top Bottom