Laying after light restored

dulahdaglace

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
I turned the artificial light off for a week while I went on vacation. As I expected, my girls stopped laying. However I have been back for almost a week with their 14 hours of light restored and they haven't started laying again. How long will it take?

I turned the artificial light off for a week while I went on vacation. As I expected, my girls stopped laying. However I have been back for almost a week with their 14 hours of light restored and they haven't started laying again. How long will it take?
Sudden changes are not recommended.. how long was your daylight hours without the artificial lighting?

That could cause full blown molt.. it's one of the ways commercial poultry flocks are forced to molt at the same time, more uniformly.

Also sudden increase in lighting can cause multiple yolk release and extra large eggs leading to egg binding (and even death)..

Age of birds and nutrition may also impact time off lay.

Please report back your results when they do return.. for others who may have the same question.

Yesterday I got one egg, today I got 3 (out of 3 females). I bought a 24 hr timer so that next time the light will stay on. I didn't realize how harmful that was :( they had regular daylight hours but since they're inside, the light isn't as strong as outside which is why I supplement. The eggs aren't any larger than before and do not appear to be double yolkers. They definitely all molted though when I got back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom