Laying an egg without a shell?

hey wait though... beekissed i know what you mean, but it is also possible that it is what you said before, just a change in the season.. my faith did pass shellless eggs at molt but went on to mother 6 chicks this year. i dont beleiive in animal suffering. i am a vet tech by trade with a degree in veterinary assisting, and studying radiology, but sometimes it is just a temporary glitch in the works and i hate to see an innocent animal go to the block....Faith has not laid a weird egg in some time so things straightened out. she was young.... but too dont let an animal suffer.... not ok.... just use discretion and heart....

btw i had cervical tumors...glad no one hung me out to dry....

Stress can cause all sorts of problems too. Just because a hen goes through a period of laying eggs without shells/thin, or soft shelled eggs, that doesn't mean the problem cannot be remedied. Most people on this forum are not operating by the industry standard of culling hens at the first sign of a soft shelled egg. I have learned quite a bit treating birds for this or that over the years. Culling is necessary to prevent suffrage sometimes, but often seeking remedies is rewarding. Not just for you, but for the chicken, as you well know.

Sorry Bee, I mean you no dishonor, but I am catholic and Native american... my life is equal to that of my birds and the hummingbird that i feed, and the chipmuniks that roam my yard, the horses i raised, the beef cows i was friends with and my three sons... a life is a life is a life..... again i mean you absolutely no disrespect,, i cant eat the eggs my girls lay... but i am a wishy wash...

Sorry Bee, I mean you no dishonor, but I am catholic and Native american... my life is equal to that of my birds and the hummingbird that i feed, and the chipmuniks that roam my yard, the horses i raised, the beef cows i was friends with and my three sons... a life is a life is a life..... again i mean you absolutely no disrespect,, i cant eat the eggs my girls lay... but i am a wishy wash...

I'm curious....what DO you eat? If a life is a life is a life, something is dying so that you may eat, even if that is thing is lettuce. How does one measure the life of a plant to the life of an animal if one cannot measure the life of an animal to the life of a human? Seems like making up the rules as we go along.

Iam sorry Bee kissed...I know it doesn't make sense, its what my heart tells me... my husband doesn't understand either....I just know I don't eat eggs. got back from burying my big sister two weeks ago from Arkansas and had to figure out which eggs were edible and which were not fertilized. my mother in law didn't reach under the hens for two weeks....have now 4 eggs which are embryonized and viable, and 17 guinea eggs. again, I m not trying to offend you, I wa s simply stating my point of view and belifs, of which all are supposed to b ok here without judgemennt.

My Ameracauna just started laying a week ago at about 20 weeks old and the first two eggs she laid were normal blueish green. Now we don't find her eggs in shells, but the eggs without a shell. And she is laying in the coop, not the nesting boxes like the other birds and in the common area between the coop and nesting boxes. Today I found one of her eggs with broken from where she laid it, in the common area, with a really weak and brittle shell. If she started out with a couple of normal eggs and now is laying shell less eggs...what might that mean? Will she eventually go back to regular shelled eggs?

Lost my Lilly tonight after over a year if struggles with soft shells.
There is an implant for dogs and ferrets which is available to help chickens with internal laying problems and is able to stop them laying.
Unfortunately for my darling Lilly it was not to be.
I feel like I've lost my best friend. Tomorrow morning I will not be accompanied around the flocks and the baby pen.

Another beautiful, extraordinary and very missed hen in heaven tonight.

God bless my little sweetheart.

Shabana x

Lost my Lilly tonight after over a year if struggles with soft shells.
There is an implant for dogs and ferrets which is available to help chickens with internal laying problems and is able to stop them laying.
Unfortunately for my darling Lilly it was not to be.
I feel like I've lost my best friend. Tomorrow morning I will not be accompanied around the flocks and the baby pen.

Another beautiful, extraordinary and very missed hen in heaven tonight.

God bless my little sweetheart.

Shabana x

my heart and prayers go out to you tonight Shabana, just this week I lost my beloved Polish crested grandma,Angel and a guinea keet named Zander and tonight I have a chick not doing well, think its a bee sting or spider bite.. It never gets easier. Nobody but someone who loves chickens for their inner beauty and character and spirit will ever understand....my chemical dependency counselor says I spend too much time with my animals and not enough in the human world? I told her there areat least 500 other people on my backyard chickens website who feel like I do....after all,normal is only what they think it is. It is subject to change. Anyway just know that someone out there in "chickenland" hurts right alongside you...take care

Thankyou so much for your kindness. I'm so sorry for your losses. I think I also talk to my chickens more than I talk to my humans, I have a little sablepoot roo called slipper who I tell literally all my troubles to.

He sits on my knee and makes noises at the appropriate times. He makes me feel better and he gets a cuddle. Chicken therapy !

Take care xx

I have a Rhode Island Red ("Nutcase") that used to lay extra large eggs on a regular basis (1/dy), then all of a sudden she stopped laying. Now she's started up again, but laying a shell-less egg that just looks like an egg in a plastic sac. She never tries to eat it & it always comes out whole & not broken. It's SO weird to see when you don't expect it & find one in a nesting box! She seems fine otherwise. She's the toughest & smallest chicken in my flock-the queen of the group. Good to know from the previous comments that I'm not the only chicken owner that this has happened to! Hopefully she'll work this out of her & be normal soon!

Back
Top Bottom