Lazy Peachick

What would you suggest?

-Kathy

Kathy, I really don't know but I have doubled the dosage before and not caused any harm. I was not suggesting that I know the answer or that the information out there is bad. I just know that these long term illnesses are almost always related to diseases of the internal organs. I think it is like anything else. We need to try different things and keep good records. It is a shame we cannot get certain people to participate in the forums. There is lots of other good information out there.

I didn't refrigerate it since morning, and i don't know when he died exactly, if it has been 12 hours since he died is that ok or not? I have started Baytril yesterday, he is taking 3 chevi pills per day and 2 metro pills. He looks great he is eating and drinking normally, he is so strong he will not let weight easily, if i found someone to do this tonight i will add pictures here of course.

Do what you can, refrigerate as soon as you can.
hugs.gif

It is very good that the other chick is strong and fighting.

Kathy, I really don't know but I have doubled the dosage before and not caused any harm. I was not suggesting that I know the answer or that the information out there is bad. I just know that these long term illnesses are almost always related to diseases of the internal organs. I think it is like anything else. We need to try different things and keep good records. It is a shame we cannot get certain people to participate in the forums. There is lots of other good information out there.

@AugeredIn , how many mg/kg are you finding that it takes to be effective? I am about to start some metronidazole in my pen, and this is the first time I have used it.

Also, have you ever tried using the milk thistle or either of the other two dietary supplements that RBaker mentioned yesterday?

Edited to add cut & paste of the ones mentioned:

L-glutamine helps to repair mucous membranes, i.e. intestinal lining. Not sure how it does this but it has been shown to be effective.

B. subtilis or Bacillus subtilis is a probiotic which has been shown to be more effective against coccidia than coccidiocidal drugs.

Last edited:
@AugeredIn , how many mg/kg are you finding that it takes to be effective? I am about to start some metronidazole in my pen, and this is the first time I have used it.

Also, have you ever tried using the milk thistle or either of the other two dietary supplements that RBaker mentioned yesterday?

I don't have my info in front of me but I know that I have given 400 mg in one day to birds in the 1.5 to 2 kg range to try and save them. I would not give that dosage as a preventative or to a possibly infected flock/pen. Be careful using it as a preventative, we don't want to develop a resistance. Use it only if you suspect you have a problem. Use the wormers more frequently and effectively.

Edited to add cut & paste of the ones mentioned:

L-glutamine helps to repair mucous membranes, i.e. intestinal lining. Not sure how it does this but it has been shown to be effective.

B. subtilis or Bacillus subtilis is a probiotic which has been shown to be more effective against coccidia than coccidiocidal drugs.
I have not used either but it would not hurt if you can get it in them. You have to remember that we have enough birds that it is hard to do some of the things you can do if you have fewer birds.

Back
Top Bottom