Lazy Peachick

Othman, I am guessing at this point the other pea is finished or very close to finished with the Metronidazole course, has been wormed and has been on Baytril a couple of days. I am wondering if the stress of medication and lack of just general sleep is stressing the bird. I think I would be tempted to stop all medications and make that pen dark for 6-8 hours. Remove all food and water for that period. When that time is up feed a sweet fruit or scrambled egg and see if it takes to the food right away. I just wonder if this bird has not been wound so tight that he is off the feed and stressed.

....and put one single friend in their with him for that period as well.

Last edited:
Othman, I am guessing at this point the other pea is finished or very close to finished with the Metronidazole course, has been wormed and has been on Baytril a couple of days. I am wondering if the stress of medication and lack of just general sleep is stressing the bird. I think I would be tempted to stop all medications and make that pen dark for 6-8 hours. Remove all food and water for that period. When that time is up feed a sweet fruit or scrambled egg and see if it takes to the food right away. I just wonder if this bird has not been wound so tight that he is off the feed and stressed.

That's sort of what I was thinking. I read somewhere that birds do best when *not* under lights 24/7... Read it in a few places, actually, some in veterinary books, and the other was somewhere here: http://en.aviagen.com/. It said something about normal sleep cycles and how it helps the bird process food correctly.

-Kathy

Is he getting all of the same medications the other pea chick was getting?
Yes.

He got 4 days metro pills and 3 days Baytril, i have brought him a company yesterday and turned off the lights at night, he eats normally btw.

I don't know about chickens but metronidazole can be very rough on kidneys.

Let me get this straight, he isn't eating or drinking and yet he has diarrhea?

I am wondering if he is having an adrenal problem. The adrenal glands secrete aldosterone and aldosterone is an antidieuretic. If he has kidney or adrenal problems then he might not be reabsorbing water from his blood, its just passing and dehydrating him. People with this problem get medication but I don't know what that is.

This is just so weird and it totally reminds me of my turkey with mareks.

At this point, he has been on every medication that might make a difference (except maybe erythromycin).

Those last BM's are telling me kidney/liver stress and not eating. The excessive urates make me think that maybe his body is digesting its own muscle mass (but I'm not an endocrinologist, this is just an educated guess). I would love to see bloodwork on him.

At this point I'm thinking several possibilities.

1. try erythromycin
2. Its some kind of genetic disease like a metabolic disease or a kind of leukemia (can birds get leukemia?)
3. Mareks
4. Some kind of tumor.
5. blood borne parasite (i.e. haemoproteus or malaria)- try quinine
6. a virus, something like sleeping sickness- just a shot in the dark.

My plan right now, and this is only if he were my bird, would be to provide a heating pad under half of his cage so he can regulate his temp on his own. Provide light for only an hour a day so he can synthesize vitamin D if he is able. Continue to gavage with a baby bird replacer (fits through the tube easier). Add live probiotics to replace his gut flora. Add fish oil. If no change after a few days, put him on erythromycin. If no improvement on erythromycin, give him a few days off and then try the quinine. If still no improvement, just keep him comfortable until the end.

If you can find a vet to do bloodwork, that would be awesome. Do you have some kind of official state vet or vet school?

Back
Top Bottom