Lean-To Style Hoop Coop?

dshults

Hatching
Mar 22, 2021
Hey all!

We're planning our coop for our 5 chickies. The coop itself is inside of our garage (which we otherwise don't use) and the plan is for the run to be attached.

I was planning on doing a cattle panel hoop coop as many others have, and then using this method to help give it stability and also put hardware cloth around the lower perimeter: https://thesmartchickencoop.com/build-your-own-tasteful-inexpensive-chicken-run/?v=f24485ae434a

Last night that has sort of shifter to "plan b" in my mind. What I might like more as an attached building is a sorta "half hoop" lean to style run.

Something like this, but using cattle panels instead of PVC.

My question is this:

Does the structural stability of a hoop coop rely on the "U" shape? Would having them in this "half hoop" shape make them weak as a rule of thumb?

I only ask because I'll need to buy a tool to cut the hoops in order to try it myself. :)

Well if you don't put it against somthing it will most likely flip over but, if you do it should be fine. I personaly think U shape cattle panel coops are better because you can make a chicken tractor out of them too.

My question is this:

Does the structural stability of a hoop coop rely on the "U" shape? Would having them in this "half hoop" shape make them weak as a rule of thumb?

I only ask because I'll need to buy a tool to cut the hoops in order to try it myself. :)
The structural stability is relevant only as far as you expect it to support something. In this case the weight of what it would support is very little. In that picture the structural stability came from the 2x4 frame, the pvc pipe just provided shape for the covering.

The strength is the arch. Whether a 1/4 circle or a half circle, the strength is essentially the same. Failure points are the same as well - where they are affixed to another surface.

For a full arch/half circle, stresses are essentially 2 directions - down into the ground (that's not going anywhere), and tension as the arch tries to flatten, pulling the base apart. A 1/4 circle will have the same loads. At the ground, forces will go into the ground, and then (depending on severity of arch and load, either towards or away from the building. You will want very good anchors there. On the building itself, the arch will press against it, but its also going to want to straighten - which is to say the arch will want to go up! the wall. I'd install a ledger board like you were hanging a deck off the side of the building, butt the top edge of the arch up against the building BELOW the ledger board, then anchor with screws and washers from underneath.

and I can't tell you how much arch to put in it, but be cognizant of wind loads - a full arch can deform far more than a half before failure, so if you don't have much "bow" and you attach a lot of surface, there's a higher chance of it becoming "dented" inwards under strong enough winds. That's going to be a "try it and see" sort of build. Sorry I can't help more. Not sure if you are better off having the arch bend in a little bit where it contacts the ground, or not.

Last edited:
This coop is made with 3/4 pvc, I live in the tropics where it doesn't snow and summers are hot and humid. I bought the fittings from ebay.

DSCN0027.JPG
DSCN0025.JPG

Here's mine. The hoop is separate from the coop, or in your case the garage. Super strong. Had 2' of wet snow on it without issues. This pic is during the building process. I've got half(closest to the coop) covered with a HD tarp.

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom