Learning the ropes of sneaky chickens

FoxandBearFarms

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2024
So I've got a fairly new flock of show stock black and blue ameraucana.

But it took me nearly 2 weeks to get 3 dozen eggs from 12 hens. Which was pretty low laying rate from what I figured with young hens.

3 weeks ago I lifted the coop to deal with as rodent problem. No eggs under the coop. So haven't checked it since.
Well.... Today my stepson saw a little blue orb peaking out from under the coop. We lifted it and found this.

OVER 40 EGGS IN 3 WEEKS IN ADDITION TO THE 36 IN THE INCUBATOR.

And the worst part is, it was below freezing multiple times in the last week. Not a single hatchable egg in the bunch. Silly birds.

Attachments

• received_3669142646656667.jpeg
    received_3669142646656667.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 20
Hurray for your stepson!

I've had a similar experience with runner ducks. Healthy, young girls and, strangely, no eggs a few years ago. Finally, I spotted one of the girls coming out of a massive bed of trumpet vines growing by the driveway. Sure enough, when I dug through the jungle of vines, there were So Many Eggs. Based on the number of runners and the rate at which they laid, the hiding place had been in use for weeks, clever girls.

I try not to take it personally when my poultry hide their eggs, just as I want them to not take it personally when I snatch them away :) .

On the plus side, your Ameracaunas are producing plenty of beautiful eggs!

Back
Top Bottom