Leg paralysis in hen-sudden onset

almostidaho

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 4, 2007
One of our 13-mo. old white rock hens suddenly started exhibiting paralysis in her legs yesterday. She can walk a bit, in fact, a little bit better than yesterday, but mostly is squatted down and unable to get up on a perch. She otherwise is alert, eating, and drinking. Her wings don't seem affected, nor does she have a twisted neck. On top of that, she's in a molt and more aggressive hens have been mounting her in this squatty state and her skin's been raked on her back, elbows, and vent area and she's bleeding a bit. Eek - what a mess.

We're trying to keep her separated from the others. A friend with long chicken experience says it sounds like 'chicken palsy,' a disease we can't find references to anywhere. Any clues or advice for us? Our hens are otherwise quite healthy, spend half the day free-ranging our 2+ acres supplemented with scratch & oyster shell. We did, however, take in a lost pullet some kids had found last week. Hope it's not contagious.

Thanks, Tami

I would suspect mycotoxins (in combination with possible deficiency in diet) .... here below from link above:

"Mycotoxicosis
It is known that certain strains of fungi (molds) growing in feed or feed ingredients can produce toxins that, when eaten by man or animals, can cause a very lethal disease called mycotoxicosis. The toxins produced by these fungi are very toxic and rivals the botulism toxin for toxicity.
Mycotoxicosis is caused by ingestion of toxic substances produced by molds growing on feed, feed ingredients and possibly litter. Several types of fungi produce toxins that may cause problems in poultry, but of primary concern are substances produced by the Aspergillus flavus fungi and are thus called aflatoxins. Aspergillus flavus is a common mold that grows on many substances, and grows especially well on grain and nuts. Several other fungi also produce toxins that cause the disease.

The aflatoxins include four closely related metabolites of A. flavus known as B1, B2, G and G2. The B1 toxin is the most toxic and is of greatest concern to the poultry industry.

Mold toxins cause a wide variety of signs, many difficult to recognize. The aflatoxins under certain conditions cause death, reduced growth, reduced egg production, reduced hatchability, signs associated with "physiological stress" and impaired ability to develop immunity to infectious agents. Diagnosis is difficult because characteristic lesions usually are not present, and detection of the toxin is not conclusive.

Molds are widespread in nature. Standing grains and other feed substances are frequently infected with toxin-producing molds prior to harvest. The key is proper storage to control moisture and temperature to reduce growth of the molds while in storage. Although the mold is present, it cannot produce toxic products unless allowed to grow freely. Aflatoxins in feeds can be detected by chemical tests. Once the toxin is produced there is no known method for removing it from the feed or cancelling its harmful effects. Providing a diet containing high fat and high protein levels and augmenting the ration with vitamin supplements may be of value."

...have a good look around for spilled grains (remove them) and review your current sack of scratch. Your laying birds will need access to a layer ration and not scratch.

With sudden paralysis I would suspect a toxin rather than mareks. With a gradual paralysis, mareks. Injury is always something to be ruled out. If holding her seemed to hurt, you need to check that out. If a bird won't stand on a foot, check the footpads.

Yesterday one of my hens had leg paralysis. She was breathing heavily and looked in pain. Earlier she had made a loud clucking noise followed by an alarm cluck. I checked the nesting box and found the most enormous egg. Looking on the internet I found a reference to PEP - post egg paralysis, caused by damage to the nerves to the legs running close to the reproductive area. It seemed to make sense to me, and as the day wore on and after a good massage from me she began to improve. By the end of the day she was fine. Today she has layed a normal size egg but sounded like she was a bit sore as she made the same noise as yesterday. Hope that helps anyone with similar experience.

Hello - Has anyone come to ANY conclusions or received ANY diagnosis as to what this is? I too have a 2.5 yr old hen who developed this sudden onset - stumbling, legs appear broken, appetite fine...I have consulted two vets with "familiarity" of chicken issues, but unfortunately neither offered any help whatsoever. I have crated her and she does little more than sit all day. I'm spiking her water with electrolytes and vitamins, oregano and fish oil but there's no noticeable improvement. It seems so strange that this is an issue repeatedly reported in the chicken community but absolutely no clear diagnosis.
What was the outcome of those of you who experienced this? Many thanks!

An update on the GLW with the limp. She died November 19th from what I'm now positive was Newcastle's Disease. The three characteristic seizures at the end were exactly like Newcastle birds with the twisted necks. She first stopped eating then couldn't drink, had 2 events, spent a final night with her friend the SLW and died as I was holding her & trying to give her water the next morning. A 3rd seizure (if that's what they were, did it ). As if that wasn't bad enough, I lost the SLW to a hawk on thanksgiving Day, so now am looking for one each of started GLW & SLW . I love wyandottes - these two had imprinted on me & would come when called, so really took these two losses hard. Anyone know of anyavailable around Alabama,N FL or E GA, I would like to hear from you.

I would stop the scratch and keep her separated and her movement capacity limited...it might simply be a sprain or strain which rest can help.

I'm having the same problem with a Leghorn right now. Two nights ago I noticed she was having problems walking around on the roost, almost falling off whenever she tried to move. Last night my wife noticed that she was having trouble walking, like her legs were really weak. She was pretty weak overall, I think due to dehydration, she just wasn't making it to the waterer yesterday. We put her in a cage last night with food and water and fed her her some scrambled egg. This morning she was more alert and generally not so weak, but her legs are paralyzed and she can only move around the cage by walking on her wings.

We kept her isolated yesterday from the flock. She started walking around on her own, very unsteadily. Ate only a little bit. When I picked her up to put into the coop, my cradling her legs seemed to hurt her. This morning she staggered out of the coop in search of food . . . we'll keep an eye on her progress.

Tami

Back
Top Bottom