Leg paralysis in hen-sudden onset

I had a buckeye that became paralyzed in her legs. She could sort of walk like a sumo wrestler and she seemed alert and ate and drank for 3 days. By the 4th day, she became lethargic and wasn't responding to anything. She died that night. We thought, since we couldn't find anything, and they had all been vaccinated for Marek's, we thought it was just her. Well that was two days ago, today my other buckeye started exhibiting the same things - paralysis of the legs, unwilling to move. The paralysis may be droopiness, since she does get up to walk occasionally, and when I say occasionally, it's when the other birds start plucking her feathers out. She's alert now but now I'm freaking out thinking this is something more serious that will eventually overtake all my birds. I'm separating her today but I'm terrified it may be too late. I plan to clean out the coop and spray down with bleach, in case it's a pest or fungal. I have no bird vets in my area so you guys are my only hope. Please help!

Dear I have an Aseel cock and its age is rounded 6 month all of sudden it seems to as if it is paralized and it takes back step and can not stand for a long time kindly tell me what should do be done with it needs your support for its treatment

My golden laced wyandotte is paralyzed in her right leg and was normal when I got her (estimate she was 5 -7 weeks at the time) . Took her to a vet who ruled out Marek's and says she suspects one of the older birds bullied & hurt her. She did an X-Ray but found no broken bone nor any sign of injury. I have her isolated with her friend of the same age & they are inseparable. At first she had a weak grip in her bad foot, but today was dragging it. She seems to be eating & drinking well & on one leg is quick to get treats tossed to her, but she is not seeming to improve. My question is can a hen with only one leg lay and survive if I can keep her from predators & minimize the bullying? More importantly, is there anything that can be done to help her get bettter?

Hello - Has anyone come to ANY conclusions or received ANY diagnosis as to what this is? I too have a 2.5 yr old hen who developed this sudden onset - stumbling, legs appear broken, appetite fine...I have consulted two vets with "familiarity" of chicken issues, but unfortunately neither offered any help whatsoever. I have crated her and she does little more than sit all day. I'm spiking her water with electrolytes and vitamins, oregano and fish oil but there's no noticeable improvement. It seems so strange that this is an issue repeatedly reported in the chicken community but absolutely no clear diagnosis.
What was the outcome of those of you who experienced this? Many thanks!

My golden laced wyandotte is paralyzed in her right leg and was normal when I got her (estimate she was 5 -7 weeks at the time) . Took her to a vet who ruled out Marek's and says she suspects one of the older birds bullied & hurt her. She did an X-Ray but found no broken bone nor any sign of injury. I have her isolated with her friend of the same age & they are inseparable. At first she had a weak grip in her bad foot, but today was dragging it. She seems to be eating & drinking well & on one leg is quick to get treats tossed to her, but she is not seeming to improve. My question is can a hen with only one leg lay and survive if I can keep her from predators & minimize the bullying? More importantly, is there anything that can be done to help her get bettter?
@8CityChicks , welcome to BYC! Curiously, how did your vet rule out Marek's?

-Kathy

Hello - Has anyone come to ANY conclusions or received ANY diagnosis as to what this is? I too have a 2.5 yr old hen who developed this sudden onset - stumbling, legs appear broken, appetite fine...I have consulted two vets with "familiarity" of chicken issues, but unfortunately neither offered any help whatsoever. I have crated her and she does little more than sit all day. I'm spiking her water with electrolytes and vitamins, oregano and fish oil but there's no noticeable improvement. It seems so strange that this is an issue repeatedly reported in the chicken community but absolutely no clear diagnosis.
What was the outcome of those of you who experienced this? Many thanks!
@Jenxx , welcome to BYC! Can you post a video of your hen?

-Kathy

My GLW is doing great other than hopping around on one leg. Her feathers are healthy, she eats well, and seems to accept her fate. Her friend, a SLW stays by her side constantly, even sleeping in the nest with her (a double cleanup job every morning but I have a nest box designed to clean quickly & easily). I have both of them isolated together (to prevent bullying) except when all birds are allowed out for free time, and even then they stay close. The GLW allows me to carry her for long distances since the constant hopping must be tiring, but returns to her pen (with her friend) each day at afternoon feeding time - usually on her own.The closeness of these 2 birds is like nothing I've seen. If something should happen to one, the other would probably mourn itself to death. A lot of "how she's doing" & no reason, cause or explanation of the cause of her problem. My Vet went to great lengths to diagnose a cause, ruling out Marek's, & finally saying she just didn't know .I think she will be able to lay when she's ready since she can fly into the nest with no problem. Even have seen her go airborne on her outing for about 10 feet when she wants to. Hope your bird has the same success as mine has had - so far.

Given that feathers consist of 85% protein, feather production places great demands on a chicken's energy and nutrient stores, as a result. molting takes 7-8 weeks from start to finish but there is a wide range of normal. But it sounds maybe as if she has a strain or injury. She needs to be kept away from the other hens. Maybe in a open wire dog crate. Tottaly isloating her will stress her more. But she needs to heal and recoperate. Feed her some high quality food. At least 18% protein. Lots of wet type food to keep her hydrated as well. Wet bread etc. I hope your girl gets better!!

An update on the GLW with the limp. She died November 19th from what I'm now positive was Newcastle's Disease. The three characteristic seizures at the end were exactly like Newcastle birds with the twisted necks. She first stopped eating then couldn't drink, had 2 events, spent a final night with her friend the SLW and died as I was holding her & trying to give her water the next morning. A 3rd seizure (if that's what they were, did it ). As if that wasn't bad enough, I lost the SLW to a hawk on thanksgiving Day, so now am looking for one each of started GLW & SLW . I love wyandottes - these two had imprinted on me & would come when called, so really took these two losses hard. Anyone know of anyavailable around Alabama,N FL or E GA, I would like to hear from you.

We're having a similar problem. One of our 7-month-old New Hampshire Red hens was moving slowly two days ago. Last night I found her squatting, unable to move. Neither of her legs looked very reactive, but one was more paralyzed than the other. We isolated her and this morning both legs look equally paralyzed, bent underneath her with the two big toes stuck together, like when your hand loses circulation and the fingers stick together. I can't tell that she's eating or drinking (the food and water are right next to her). Her poop is green and runny.

I'm hoping this is a nutrition problem because we changed feed a few weeks ago and noticed that all the birds were eating more, but laying less. We just switched back to the old feed, so hopefully that solves her problem - fingers crossed!
Calcium deficiency probably

Back
Top Bottom