Leghorn Thread

Pics
My guy never did that towards us. He was even more loveable when he was younger. I'd say it would be concerning to me. Of course, I'm no expert.
When he was born within a few hours he was pecking at me...so his name is pecker...its gonna be dumplings if he keeps on, but he is the only Leghorn cockrel I got at this moment. All the others are sweet!!

When he was born within a few hours he was pecking at me...so his name is pecker...its gonna be dumplings if he keeps on, but he is the only Leghorn cockrel I got at this moment. All the others are sweet!!

Lol, what a good name! Hey, at least they're not very big roosters and not very threatening. Currently we have a RIR roo we're trying to find a home for. Now he is a big guy!

Lol, what a good name! Hey, at least they're not very big roosters and not very threatening. Currently we have a RIR roo we're trying to find a home for. Now he is a big guy!
My RIR are the same age as my leghorns, they are bigger than them. My Cockrel off if them comes and says hello every time I open the pen. I wonder if he's just sizing me up..lol. So far no aggressive behavior from them at all...my friends 6 month RIR us a different story, he chases her...now she Carry's a shovel with her.

My RIR are the same age as my leghorns, they are bigger than them. My Cockrel off if them comes and says hello every time I open the pen. I wonder if he's just sizing me up..lol. So far no aggressive behavior from them at all...my friends 6 month RIR us a different story, he chases her...now she Carry's a shovel with her.

That's crazy!

Just figured I'd let everyone know, our BL is so much better from the crazy she was. Don't get me wrong, she's still a spazz, but now she'll take treats from our hands and even peck at our shoes! And she laid her first egg yesterday. So I think if you keep picking them up and giving treats there's hope. Lol

New to this thread. I tried briefly to revive the Isabelle leghorn thread but that doesn't seem to be happening. I am curious how you all keep those beautiful combs from getting frostbitten over the winter? Currently, I am using a heat lamp for temps below 32, but it is scary to have that on with crazy birds! Here are pictures of my isabelle and dark brown leghorns.

No way to keep the single combs perfect in super cold temps.

I have had single combs, and now mostly rose combs.... I only get down to -20.

Since I do not show, I simply let combs freeze off, I am not about to risk a coop fire.

I do realize that combs freezing off is painful for the birds, which is why I have been moving away from single comb birds.

Back
Top Bottom