Leghorn Thread

Pics
. This is my white leghron hen , she is 10 years old and she is still laying

Very impressive and most excellent!!! :ya

My oldest girls are 4.

Yes it is, i have spangled hamburg she is 10 years old too, a spash naked neck is 8 years old, and one buff orpington , buff polish , white cochin and black naked neck they are 7 years old , a few more 6 and 5 years old

Wow! You must have a most excellent chicken coop and fort knox type run. Kudos to you for putting in such hard work!

My oldest chickens are 4, because the winter 4 years back, a dog broke into my coop and killed every single chicken. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I shelled out more money, and impoved my runs, stopped free ranging... And now I finally have a 4 year ago old chicken.

So, how often does your 10 year old Leghorn lay?

Well last year i lost my black naked neck hen she was 10 years old because an animal got into the chicken coop (under) so i make sure that its no gonna happen again , my white leghorn lay like one day yes skips one and then she lays again,

I have searched all over and haven't found an answer, so I'm hoping some fellow leghorn owners will know! I just hatched my very first white leghorns (5 in all), and I noticed that at least one of them has a brown spot on the top of its head. These are pure white leghorns, not mixes... I know in some breeds, a pot on the head can mean cockerel, but never heard of that for a leghorn. Do I have a mutant leghorn chick or what? Anyone else seen a spot on the head??

I have white Leghorns... If something else jumps into the breeding pen... Then the chicks will hatch all white with one or 4 or so black or dark colored spots in random locations.

The white in Leghorns is dominant, but it is "leaky". So, if the chick has one dominant white, and one whatever (maybe a brown from a brown leghorn or a black from a black leghorn), then that other color will "leak" out in a few spots. Not many, and not much, just a bit.

I love my chicks that are like that. (I have dark brown leghorns, white leghorns, Dominiques, and black Ameraucanas, so grow up some crosses every year)

Wow that is really interesting! I got the hatching eggs from someone else, so not 100% certain on their genetics, but I thought they only kept white leghorns. Could be wrong though! Here's a picture of the chick in question... It's the only one of the five that looks like this!

Wow that is really interesting! I got the hatching eggs from someone else, so not 100% certain on their genetics, but I thought they only kept white leghorns. Could be wrong though! Here's a picture of the chick in question... It's the only one of the five that looks like this!

Oh! That is what you meant by a dark spot! I am pretty sure that that is perfectly normal, but mine do not have that....... I meant something else entirely.

Here is a photo from the-coop.org that shows what I was talking about. (Sorry, no good photos of my own chicks)

Back
Top Bottom