Leghorn Thread

Pics
Looks female to me.

A white leghorn crossed with a black leghorn will be white with a few black spots.

I think there are some other leghorn crosses that are also white with spots...maybe a California Grey?

Haven't tried that cross.

But the white leghorn is usually a dominant white... So all chicks will hatch out white with a few random dark feathers.

As to laying, it should be better than a Welsummer, not as good as a pure Leghorn.

As to egg color, they should all be a medium brown, unless one of the Leghorns instead of just having "blanks" for egg color (which is what white eggs are... A shell with nothing added), has a color surpressing gene. That would block any brown color that is inherited from the Welsummer, and produce white eggs. I think that is pretty rare.

Last edited:
Haven't tried that cross.

But the white leghorn is usually a dominant white... So all chicks will hatch out white with a few random dark feathers.

As to laying, it should be better than a Welsummer, not as good as a pure Leghorn.

As to egg color, they should all be a medium brown, unless one of the Leghorns instead of just having "blanks" for egg color (which is what white eggs are... A shell with nothing added), has a color surpressing gene. That would block any brown color that is inherited from the Welsummer, and produce white eggs. I think that is pretty rare.

So if I used light brown leghorns I wouldbget similar results just with a bird that looks similar to the welsummers...

Looks like a leghorn but , anyone know anything about the grey legs? Thanks.

I have some young White Leghorn cockerels available. If anyone is interested please send me a PM.
This is their father.

Last edited:
Looks like a leghorn but , anyone know anything about the grey legs? Thanks.

Looks like a Brown Leghorn to me. My Browns are still rather young but their legs don't look that gray as in your picture but the color in pictures are sometimes off a bit.

Looks like a Brown Leghorn to me. My Browns are still rather young but their legs don't look that gray as in your picture but the color in pictures are sometimes off a bit.
thanks for the help. I took the picture myself and the legs are definitely gray. I live in Spain, does that affect the chicken's breed? Thanks.

Quote: The legs on my Brown Leghorns are more yellow but I have seen pictures of some with more grayish looking legs. It is probably the feed I give mine because at a poultry for another breed I was marked off for the legs on a bird I was showing not being yellow enough so I have changed mostly their diet and now the legs of my birds are more yellow.

Back
Top Bottom