Leghorn Thread

This is a picture of my leghorn

Our pearl white leghorns are pumping out double yolks amazing how huge these eggs are! (Order as seen) Double , single , silkie egg.

The day old chicks munching down on their starter feed in our brooder from GQF.

Incubator is filled with Pearl White Leghorn eggs! Gonna be up to my neck in chicks soon! Haha :D

KB, how long have you been breeding Leghorns? I lost the only one I had, she passed so suddenly I don't know how. She was only 2 yrs old. Best personality out of the flock, it's just not the same with her gone. I searched on the Internet for a white leghorn breeder & couldn't find one, surprisingly. Saw you in the NC thread. Someone told me about you :)

Here's another one of her. She got pecked on one of her wattles & it healed shorter than the other. They were both even at one time though. Miss her so much!

KB, how long have you been breeding Leghorns? I lost the only one I had, she passed so suddenly I don't know how. She was only 2 yrs old. Best personality out of the flock, it's just not the same with her gone. I searched on the Internet for a white leghorn breeder & ccouldn't find one, surprisingly. Saw you in the NC thread. Someone told me about you :)

Im very sorry for your loss, our hens are very sweet and loving also. We have been breeding Pearl White Leghorns for about 2 months now , we ordered them from Murray McMurry Hatchery in Feb. and they started laying in May. Sence then every egg has gone into the incubater to and so far we have a 90% hatch rate. The chicks a health upon hatching and then after 24 hours they are vaccinated for Mereks , New Castle , and coccidiosis.

Above are the chicks we recently moved from the smaller brooder into the larger brooder. All are about one week old , the rest that have hatched are in the smaller brooder we got from GQF.

Above are some of our day olds to week olds in the GQF brooder. Managed to take a pic while they were busy eating haha.

You have a really nice set up! I love leghorns, BIG personalities for such a small bird. I'm not sure which hatchery mine came from, but I've tried to hatch her eggs and all of them were duds. They were fertilized but never developed. When I bought her as a chick, I got her with 6 different chicks, and all of them are just over 2 years old. I've lost one from internal laying back in June and looks like I'm about to lose another who just stopped laying 6 months ago. Out of all of them I only have a couple that lay for me regularly. Live and learn!

You have a really nice set up! I love leghorns, BIG personalities for such a small bird. I'm not sure which hatchery mine came from, but I've tried to hatch her eggs and all of them were duds. They were fertilized but never developed. When I bought her as a chick, I got her with 6 different chicks, and all of them are just over 2 years old. I've lost one from internal laying back in June and looks like I'm about to lose another who just stopped laying 6 months ago. Out of all of them I only have a couple that lay for me regularly. Live and learn! 

I was very impressed at how the White leghorns began laying at 5 months, we had purchased them because they were early layers and they sure do keep up a nice laying schedule. I work in Charlotte so when i get home around 6 pm they have all done their duty for the day and i go collect. We have them on automatic waterers and feeders so no daily feeding, but i still go out to see them and they come running out to see me when i whistle . Our rhode island reds do the same , now i just have to teach the barred rocks to come when i call but they are only a week old today. Im giessing our next beed will be Jersey Giants , i had a few before the hatchery started and they are very beautiful birds. Trying to get a nice veriety of poultry for consumer needs. I am most likly going to the sell and swap on the 14th in lincolnton next weekend if you would like to get some White Leghorn Biddies, they would be 2 or 3 weeks by then. I may take a veriety to ages and separate them so people know how old they are.

Thanks for the invite! That is about 5 hours away from where I live - more than likely I won't be able to travel that far any time soon (hubby funds my hobby) unless there will be chickens that "lay golden eggs" (according to him) LOL. I just hatched 22 chicks this summer (33 all together) so by winter time half should be ready for the table, the layers I could sell and I'll have more room for biddies. I live in city limits so I don't have much space for a lot of chickens. If we don't move out in the country between now and spring, I'll contact you then for sure! :D

Thanks for the invite! That is about 5 hours away from where I live - more than likely I won't be able to travel that far any time soon (hubby funds my hobby) unless there will be chickens that "lay golden eggs" (according to him) LOL. I just hatched 22 chicks this summer (33 all together) so by winter time half should be ready for the table, the layers I could sell and I'll have more room for biddies. I live in city limits so I don't have much space for a lot of chickens. If we don't move out in the country between now and spring, I'll contact you then for sure! :D

That would be great! :) and yeh lincolnton is a good ways from me too. Im all the way at the far end of monroe near the SC line. And the swap starts at 8am so im gonna have to be up at atleast 4 or 5 to make it at a decent time lol.

Back
Top Bottom