Let me help you find the best dog breed that matches your life style and needs:

I helped a friend's Dissertation with testing and training litter's of puppies, about 70 different breeds. I feel like you that I not only know almost all dog breeds but I also know something about their dna driven personality traits. But you love what you love. If you or someone else told me that I'm compatible with Saluki's, no offense to Saluki's but I'm sure that I'm never going to get one. I've loved, trained and showed Sheltie's and Newfoundlands my entire life but my forever dog is the Leonberger. I will have Leonberger's til the day I die. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to what you're doing but I think there is very little chance that you'd pick a Leo for me so I just thought I'd give some food for thought about people and their dogs. But have fun, it's an okay idea really and I would find it interesting or even amusing what dog you'd pick for me knowing that I'm opinionated, live on a River, have chickens and Leonbergers, not super old, but not young either😅☮️View attachment 3211726☮️😅
Btw your dog is superb. Any more photos?

We can all use your input and experience here in this thread.

This is an interesting thread. I'll bite out of curiosity but after current dog passes I'm not having more dogs I don't think ...

What is the purpose of you choosing a dog? Companion
Farming? homesteading? No
inside dog? outside dog? Inside
guardian? Yes
companion ship? Yes
Any livestock? Sometimes
Your experience with dogs in general. Have shown and bred AKC bred/champions my entire young life, now have a "real job" lol

Your pet peeves about dogs? Hair, slobber, too clingy, disobedience.

The home,land,exercise and attention you are happy to give your dog? Fenced in back yard, occasional hikes, generally alone a lot.
Your family size and structure? 2kids and one adult, some chickens. Livestock when we visit family. Gone often so either needs to be good staying alone or be packable

Do you want to walk your dog in public places like parks off leash?
Here is the thing about your case: An obedient dog is normally not keen on being alone.
Being alone a lot restricts your choices to a few proven dog breeds that almost 3/4 of them slobber or are hairy .
There is one designer breed that worth looking at. This designer dog is a cross between the Pekingese and the Poodle. Peekapoo

Here is the thing about your case: An obedient dog is normally not keen on being alone.
Being alone a lot restricts your choices to a few proven dog breeds that almost 3/4 of them slobber or are hairy .
There is one designer breed that worth looking at. This designer dog is a cross between the Pekingese and the Poodle. Peekapoo
I'm sort of a pure bred snob. IF I ever get another dog it will likely be a mini poodle or an oversized min pin. I currently have a doberman. He hates being alone, is way too smart, mostly obedient but our lifestyle just doesn't really fit a dog. I sort of feel bad for him. He has a decent life but he's definitely 3rd to two kiddos.

I'm sort of a pure bred snob. IF I ever get another dog it will likely be a mini poodle or an oversized min pin. I currently have a doberman. He hates being alone, is way too smart, mostly obedient but our lifestyle just doesn't really fit a dog. I sort of feel bad for him. He has a decent life but he's definitely 3rd to two kiddos.
Both your future choices makes sense if you like pure bred.
I like breeds that have ancient history and also pure bred.

Btw your dog is superb. Any more photos?

We can all use your input and experience here in this thread.
I have TONS of photo's of course !:love I respect the Hovawart as a great family dog but honestly I would never have one unless many, many other breeds fell off the planet. Nothing wrong with them, just doesn't make my heart expand like the Leonberger. This is my puppy Leo with my old man Landseer Newfie and other Leo's... I hope you help people find wonderful dogs but I also really hope you don't recommend designer "breeds." I won't go around that pasture on your helpful thread but it's wreaking incredible havoc on foundation blood lines of our beloved breeds standards.
Luna8weeks.JPG
IMG_4429.JPG

I have TONS of photo's of course !:love I respect the Hovawart as a great family dog but honestly I would never have one unless many, many other breeds fell off the planet. Nothing wrong with them, just doesn't make my heart expand like the Leonberger. This is my puppy Leo with my old man Landseer Newfie and other Leo's... I hope you help people find wonderful dogs but I also really hope you don't recommend designer "breeds." I won't go around that pasture on your helpful thread but it's wreaking incredible havoc on foundation blood lines of our beloved breeds standards.View attachment 3211763View attachment 3211764
magnificent dogs. All of them.
I do not blame you if you have a hard time finding a breed over Leonberger .

I remember one Leo owner once told me there are a few breeds that are addictive beyond imagination and Leonberger, Bernese Mountain Dog and Collie was among them.

I will consider your suggestion about designer breeds. You have a valid point . I am not as purist as I should be I guess.

just out of curiousity: What extra Leonberger gives you that Newfie does not?

Tell me about the expectations you have from perfect dog of your dream.

What is the purpose of you choosing a dog? Farming? homesteading? inside dog? outside dog? guardian? companion ship?
Any livestock?
Your experience with dogs in general.

Your pet peeves about dogs?

The home,land,exercise and attention you are happy to give your dog?
Your family size and structure?

Do you want to walk your dog in public places like parks off leash?

Looking at your avatar seems you love Dobermans. It is hard to suggest anything better than Doberman in many cases but I tell you why Doberman is not in my list of dogs to keep.

It has nothing to do with the breed but it has everything to do with the pre judgement that almost every Doberman faces in public places if he/she is off leash. It is almost impossible to expect strangers to not prejudice your Doberman with what they have seen in previous Dobermans.They naturally extend that possible negative behavior they have seen before to your Doberman which is not fair both to you and your dog.
I've kept only adopted Dobermans for the last 26 years and they've been a pure joy and the perfect fit for me, my lifestyle and personality. I've owned 6, up to three at once.
IMG_20220802_072836940_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210916_125539196_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220516_085519963_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210519_091000149.jpg

Not thinking about getting a dog, but I'm so curious and I would love to hear an expert's recommendation!

What is the purpose of you choosing a dog? Companion, possibly some guarding of livestock
Farming? homesteading? More like a hobby farm
inside dog? outside dog? Both - I'd love a dog to follow me around the farm
Any livestock? I have 4 goats, 20 chickens, 6 ducks
Your experience with dogs in general. I have 2 small house dogs that are rescues, but not much
Your pet peeves about dogs? I am not a fan of super hyper dogs.
The home,land,exercise and attention you are happy to give your dog? I'd be happy to let it roam our small 3 acre farm during the day while I'm at work and sleep on my bed at night. I'd love a dog I can take anywhere.
Your family size and structure? Me, hubby, adult son who is on the Autism spectrum
Do you want to walk your dog in public places like parks off leash? That'd be awesome! And if it loved water! We swim, hike, go to rivers/lakes, kayak, visit the beach. I'd love a dog to come along.

Back
Top Bottom