Let me help you find the best dog breed that matches your life style and needs:

Your resume speaks for itself. You know dogs and dog breeds and definitely do not need my input. You have seen and been with them all better than many .

I am here to help people with less knowledge and less experience than you .

Since you have been here may I suggest you look at these not so much popular but amazing and proven dog breeds that may suit your need and is not very popular:

Black Mouth Cur: The oldest American breed with proven Jack of all trade master of none personality that was the choice of early settlers.

Chinook: Amazing all purpose dog originated in New Hampshire

Appenzeller Sennenhund : looks like smaller healthier short hair but ancient version of Bernese Mountain dog

Hovawart : Just an amazing ancient German breed that was replaced by more popular German Shepperd . This is my dog breed of choice when I am ready for the next puppy.
You have very good insight. I actually am looking at an ancient dog breed for my next dog, the Beauceron. Thanks for your time!

You have very good insight. I actually am looking at an ancient dog breed for my next dog, the Beauceron. Thanks for your time!
What a great choice. I did not know the breed has double dewclaws. Leave and learn. You can't go wrong with such an ancient proven breed.
Have you seen a dog that has double canine teeth in the mouth?
Look at a breed called Alabai . Some of them have double canine teeth.

Looking for a guardian outdoor dog, we have 80 acres. Also can’t kill by birds, I guess that’s just a matter of training though

Looking for a guardian outdoor dog, we have 80 acres. Also can’t kill by birds, I guess that’s just a matter of training though
Do you want one dog or you are ok to have a pair of dogs. Not that 80 acres is too big for one dog but if you have a predator around that can challenge a single dog(Bear, Mountain lion,wolf) then you need two or more dogs . A male and female. Livestock guardian dogs work in pairs . can't be two female or two males.
If you can act as an Alpha(it is a serious question that only you know the answer) then my suggestion is Anatolian Shepherd or even kangal (a pure form of Anatolian Shepherd).
They roam 80 acre but their focus is your homestead. Extremely independent and serious breed.
If you are not alpha type of person then come one notch down and pick any of these breeds: Maremma Sheepdog, Akbash, Kuvasz
They all can live outside in Pa and they are all ancient breeds with proven record.

Not thinking about getting a dog, but I'm so curious and I would love to hear an expert's recommendation!

What is the purpose of you choosing a dog? Companion, possibly some guarding of livestock
Farming? homesteading? More like a hobby farm
inside dog? outside dog? Both - I'd love a dog to follow me around the farm
Any livestock? I have 4 goats, 20 chickens, 6 ducks
Your experience with dogs in general. I have 2 small house dogs that are rescues, but not much
Your pet peeves about dogs? I am not a fan of super hyper dogs.
The home,land,exercise and attention you are happy to give your dog? I'd be happy to let it roam our small 3 acre farm during the day while I'm at work and sleep on my bed at night. I'd love a dog I can take anywhere.
Your family size and structure? Me, hubby, adult son who is on the Autism spectrum
Do you want to walk your dog in public places like parks off leash? That'd be awesome! And if it loved water! We swim, hike, go to rivers/lakes, kayak, visit the beach. I'd love a dog to come along.
would you leave this dog alone outside to protect your hobby farm for more than a day when you are gone? or your dog will be with you wherever you go.

I asked it because it seems to me you are a good candidate for the most popular dog breed Labrador. They are not protectors and can't live outside and/or alone.
If the size does not bother you then I think dipping into a large breed that has a very even temperament like Newfoundland or Leonberger or Bernese Mountain dog seems a good choice. They are huge but they can swim and cross rivers and walk and hike.

Their goofy face and slow moving will give you chance to let them off leash almost everywhere and people would not complain. I call it" Goofy face effect"
if you prefer a lazy dog then Labrador is not a good choice.

Rough Collies are another breed but they are not keen on any water activity. they just tolerate it. Their short hair version is better in water but is not cute or cuddly enough for many.
Large breeds costs more and need larger cars and houses. you know your situation better but my feeling is that you can be a good candidate for any of those large dog breeds .

I think even the laziest breeds of dog have more energy than most of us humans so a calm relaxed dog that does not want to jump all over every stranger who comes to house then as you said you need a low energy dog.
So again which one is more focus of you ? Guardian or companion or both. Do your dog really guard your property when you are gone or the fence and technology is doing the job for you.?

I will bite, we are currently looking for a second dog to be my partners companion and keep an eye on the farm at night. We spend 80% of our time outside so she will be mostly outside. We have 15 acres with plants that need protected from deer as well as protect our rabbits, ducks, chickens, goats and pigs. Natural predators include raccoon, coyote, bobcats and black bears. I have had many pitbulls and english bulldogs in the past and currently have a basset hound. I've had many deaf dogs. I was raised on a farm with Jack Russell's, beagles, bassets, cocker spaniels and silky terriers. I hate when dogs are wimps, when they show fear. I want to be able to send my dog after any sound I hear in the dark and the dog show no hesitation. I need a dog that listens intently. I want her to take initiative and check out all the bumps in the night. My property is mostly unfenced so i need a dog that won't wonder too far. I don't like long haired dogs or super big dogs. My family structure is 3 adults and 2 babies(23 months and 11 months) I definitely wouldn't ever go to a dog park or anything like that with her, her job would be to protect the house and animals when we are away which isn't very often. I honestly have a few breeds in mind and I am curious if you recommend one of them.

Purpose: companion/family
Living: inside
Other pets: chickens, cats, rabbit
Experience: Been around dogs for 6-7 years, owned a beagle mix for a year and fostered multiple problem dogs.
Pet peeves: separation anxiety
Home/Living: Rural, house with 2 acres
Family: Large w/ kids youngest is 9

Please tell me what breed fits!!

i can have a pair. We only have coyotes
I think a pair of Maremma sheepdog suits your 80 acre. Coyotes and coywolves can overwhelm one dog and injure him , I think best bet for you if they live outside is a pair of Maremma. They are one of the best proven poultry guardian dogs and you can find one if there are active farms around. My suggestion is finding a puppy with parents that are actively in farm business.

Back
Top Bottom