Let me help you find the best dog breed that matches your life style and needs:

I will bite, we are currently looking for a second dog to be my partners companion and keep an eye on the farm at night. We spend 80% of our time outside so she will be mostly outside. We have 15 acres with plants that need protected from deer as well as protect our rabbits, ducks, chickens, goats and pigs. Natural predators include raccoon, coyote, bobcats and black bears. I have had many pitbulls and english bulldogs in the past and currently have a basset hound. I've had many deaf dogs. I was raised on a farm with Jack Russell's, beagles, bassets, cocker spaniels and silky terriers. I hate when dogs are wimps, when they show fear. I want to be able to send my dog after any sound I hear in the dark and the dog show no hesitation. I need a dog that listens intently. I want her to take initiative and check out all the bumps in the night. My property is mostly unfenced so i need a dog that won't wonder too far. I don't like long haired dogs or super big dogs. My family structure is 3 adults and 2 babies(23 months and 11 months) I definitely wouldn't ever go to a dog park or anything like that with her, her job would be to protect the house and animals when we are away which isn't very often. I honestly have a few breeds in mind and I am curious if you recommend one of them.
Ok , here is the thing: There are a few breeds of dogs that do not hesitate to go after any intruder alone in night where there are large predators.

long hair: Tibetan Mastiff( they do not listen, they react) ,
Anatolian shepherd and Kangal ( they react the best they can)
Caucasian Ovcharka ( military breed)
Caucasian shepherd
Alabai

They are all ancient breeds with protection and preservation in their mind but you do not need them in Missouri.
There are a few breeds that are proven courageous dogs and farm dog at the same time but short hair and even tempered:
Boerboel , Fila Brasilia ,Dogo Argentino are amazing proven breeds for being almost everything you need in a dog.
you refer to your dog as a she so if she is a she almost all of the breeds above have a smaller female size. so your dog would be big but not huge .

would you leave this dog alone outside to protect your hobby farm for more than a day when you are gone? or your dog will be with you wherever you go.

I asked it because it seems to me you are a good candidate for the most popular dog breed Labrador. They are not protectors and can't live outside and/or alone.
If the size does not bother you then I think dipping into a large breed that has a very even temperament like Newfoundland or Leonberger or Bernese Mountain dog seems a good choice. They are huge but they can swim and cross rivers and walk and hike.

Their goofy face and slow moving will give you chance to let them off leash almost everywhere and people would not complain. I call it" Goofy face effect"
if you prefer a lazy dog then Labrador is not a good choice.

Rough Collies are another breed but they are not keen on any water activity. they just tolerate it. Their short hair version is better in water but is not cute or cuddly enough for many.
Large breeds costs more and need larger cars and houses. you know your situation better but my feeling is that you can be a good candidate for any of those large dog breeds .

I think even the laziest breeds of dog have more energy than most of us humans so a calm relaxed dog that does not want to jump all over every stranger who comes to house then as you said you need a low energy dog.
So again which one is more focus of you ? Guardian or companion or both. Do your dog really guard your property when you are gone or the fence and technology is doing the job for you.?
I'd never leave them outside for days at a time, but it would be AWESOME if I had a dog I could leave with them during the day to keep an eye on things. I worry more about the chickens, tbh, but I know a dog's presence can deter even larger predators.

I'm going to get really specific for a sec. I enjoy dogs for companionship more than anything else. I'd love to open the door in the evening (when foxes and raccoons abound - and we have those in abundance here) and send a dog out for an hour or two until I can get out there to put everyone to bed for the night. And it'd be great to have that dog then follow me around as I do my night chores so I feel a little safer in the woods. I wouldn't want my dog to fall prey to the large predators we have (coyote, bear, mountain lion), but I do get a lil nervous sometimes when I make my rounds during certain times of the year. A lot of folks around here have suggested I get a large dog simply because having one out there is enough to discourage predators from hanging around and encourage them to go elsewhere for an easier meal.

I was attacked by 3 large dogs when I was 12. It took me almost 20 years to feel safe around them again, but I do.

Last tidbit: I've ALWAYS thought the Bernese Mountain Dog is just about the most beautiful dog I'd ever seen.

Ok , here is the thing: There are a few breeds of dogs that do not hesitate to go after any intruder alone in night where there are large predators.

long hair: Tibetan Mastiff( they do not listen, they react) ,
Anatolian shepherd and Kangal ( they react the best they can)
Caucasian Ovcharka ( military breed)
Caucasian shepherd
Alabai

They are all ancient breeds with protection and preservation in their mind but you do not need them in Missouri.
There are a few breeds that are proven courageous dogs and farm dog at the same time but short hair and even tempered:
Boerboel , Fila Brasilia ,Dogo Argentino are amazing proven breeds for being almost everything you need in a dog.
you refer to your dog as a she so if she is a she almost all of the breeds above have a smaller female size. so your dog would be big but not huge .

"They are all ancient breeds with protection and preservation in their mind but you do not need them in Missouri." Could you explain this statement? Are you familiar with far sw Missouri and the demographic?

The boerboel, Fila Brasilia and dogo Argentina are definitely my style but unfortunately not so easy to find here and are 2 times bigger then what i would want ideally.

I aim to get a female dog next, from my experience they listen better and have the attitude I want.

I saw you mention curr dogs earlier, they truly are wonderful dogs. Down the road I would like one, my family has close ties to them. I've always wanted a feist for squirrel hunting too

I'd never leave them outside for days at a time, but it would be AWESOME if I had a dog I could leave with them during the day to keep an eye on things. I worry more about the chickens, tbh, but I know a dog's presence can deter even larger predators.

I'm going to get really specific for a sec. I enjoy dogs for companionship more than anything else. I'd love to open the door in the evening (when foxes and raccoons abound - and we have those in abundance here) and send a dog out for an hour or two until I can get out there to put everyone to bed for the night. And it'd be great to have that dog then follow me around as I do my night chores so I feel a little safer in the woods. I wouldn't want my dog to fall prey to the large predators we have (coyote, bear, mountain lion), but I do get a lil nervous sometimes when I make my rounds during certain times of the year. A lot of folks around here have suggested I get a large dog simply because having one out there is enough to discourage predators from hanging around and encourage them to go elsewhere for an easier meal.

I was attacked by 3 large dogs when I was 12. It took me almost 20 years to feel safe around them again, but I do.

Last tidbit: I've ALWAYS thought the Bernese Mountain Dog is just about the most beautiful dog I'd ever seen.
If you admire Bernese Mountain dog then I think your perfect match is a Hovawart
The breed that was protecting German homestead before German shepherd took over.
hovawart 3.jpg

They are companion and protector Hovawart in German means state protector. Good for everything from farm job to companionship to guardian to fun loving and playfulness of a Golden retriever (by this time you know I am biased about Hovawart) but take a look at the breed profile if you admire Bernese M Dogs.

"They are all ancient breeds with protection and preservation in their mind but you do not need them in Missouri." Could you explain this statement? Are you familiar with far sw Missouri and the demographic?

The boerboel, Fila Brasilia and dogo Argentina are definitely my style but unfortunately not so easy to find here and are 2 times bigger then what i would want ideally.

I aim to get a female dog next, from my experience they listen better and have the attitude I want.

I saw you mention curr dogs earlier, they truly are wonderful dogs. Down the road I would like one, my family has close ties to them. I've always wanted a feist for squirrel hunting too
I am an Iranian guy who moved to Canada 16 years ago and hiked the pacific Crest trail from Mexico to Canada. No SW Missouri experience. I jumped the gun assuming it is warm. sorry. what is the weather there?

Cur dogs as you have had experience with them are perfect all around dogs with a size you prefer. Chinook the same . They do what you expect a Boerboel does but in smaller scale. They are not scared of anything their size or even a little bigger because they are agile and can outrun most predators in Zigzag.
you like squirrel catcher, they do it professionally for you.

It is warm here in the summer reaching over 100 degrees F(37.7C)some days but reaching only the single digits at times during the winter, often reaching negative temperatures at night. Our cold season lasts about 3 months

I've never heard of the Chinook, I looked them up and they are interesting.

My mind is on cur dogs now, maybe a mountain cur, they are fairly common. My family were among the first settlers in Kentucky and I appreciate the history, seems fitting to have the dog my ancestors had.

It is warm here in the summer reaching over 100 degrees F(37.7C)some days but reaching only the single digits at times during the winter, often reaching negative temperatures at night. Our cold season lasts about 3 months

I've never heard of the Chinook, I looked them up and they are interesting.

My mind is on cur dogs now, maybe a mountain cur, they are fairly common. My family were among the first settlers in Kentucky and I appreciate the history, seems fitting to have the dog my ancestors had.
Listen my friend. I am all for ancient proven breeds but if you have a family affiliation plus geographic affiliation plus sentimental memory then it is kind of your duty to go for a Mountain Cur.
There are not many breeds in the world that are jack of all trades. Mountain Cur is one of them. I love to have one if I have the chance in the future.

I’m not looking to get a another dog anytime soon, but I want to see what you think! :)

Purpose: Family dog,
Living: inside, agreeable with the house cat as well.

Livestock: Chickens

Experience with dogs: I don’t have much experience, but I’m patient and am willing to learn and adapt.

Attention+exercise: I’m perfectly fine with a ‘Velcro dog’ And would plan to spend lots of time with it, however, I do want a dog that is willing to lay down and do it’s own thing for a little while. I live on a large property, so the imaginary dog would have acres of wooded areas and pastures to run through.

Pet peeves: Chasing small animals, dominance issues.

I like larger dogs, and am also willing to do grooming upkeep for a long haired breed as well.

*Also, being able to be off-leash in public areas is not a requirement, but would be nice.

I’m excited for results!

I’m not looking to get a another dog anytime soon, but I want to see what you think! :)

Purpose: Family dog,
Living: inside, agreeable with the house cat as well.

Livestock: Chickens

Experience with dogs: I don’t have much experience, but I’m patient and am willing to learn and adapt.

Attention+exercise: I’m perfectly fine with a ‘Velcro dog’ And would plan to spend lots of time with it, however, I do want a dog that is willing to lay down and do it’s own thing for a little while. I live on a large property, so the imaginary dog would have acres of wooded areas and pastures to run through.

Pet peeves: Chasing small animals, dominance issues.

I like larger dogs, and am also willing to do grooming upkeep for a long haired breed as well.

*Also, being able to be off-leash in public areas is not a requirement, but would be nice.

I’m excited for results!
Almost all of the dog breeds will let you do your job around the house if they know there is a time of day that they can go outside and do their things whatever that thing is off leash. you prove them they will have their time every day and they show you can have yours.
To me you look like someone who is ready to have the dog of your dream and run with it.
You might be perfect owner for most of the dog breed but a few can fulfill your matched breed.
Larger breeds are prone to not live long enough for us owners. I have a hard time thinking about losing my dog around age 8 to 10. That is a matter of choice.
If you are ok with drooling and grooming is not an issue then Newfoundland or Bernese mountain Dogs and Saint Bernard and Leonbereger are amazing breeds that give you plenty of time indoor . They want to be near you when you do your stuff. In their mind they are protecting you and for protection they need to watch and hear whoever they are protecting.
Saint Bernard has the advantage of living longer and being healthier if you find a good breeder.
I like to know what other dog enthusiast suggest you because to me you are wide open to so many amazing dog breeds that I can't count.

Back
Top Bottom