Let me help you find the best dog breed that matches your life style and needs:

Pics
just out of curiousity: What extra Leonberger gives you that Newfie does not?
As a Leonberger owner for 22 years and someone who has fostered for a Newfie rescue, the Leo ins hands down. Newfies have a smell, whether it's from all the drool down their front or from the extra oil in their coat, but they SMELL. Leos don't drool and don't have an oily coat. IMHO The Leos I've had have been much longer lived and healthier than the average Newfie. My Leonbergers average 12-13.5 years old, and none have ever had hip issues or any health issues. One of my friends has Newfies and says they all have terrible hip issues and hers are in terrible shape by 8 years old. I have an Aunt who has done Saint Bernard Rescue for 35 years and many of hers never make 8 years old. The only other giant breed we've had as healthy as our Leonbergers is a Pyrenean Mastiff, in my avatar. He was 165 lbs and lived to 13.5 years old. He had a totally different function that a Leonberger and was our guard dog. We will definitely have another Pyrenean Mastiff.

I've also worked for vets and fostered almost 1000 dogs in 22 years. My other favorite breeds are: English Shepherds, Border Collies, Black English Labradors, Irish Wolfhounds, Borzoi. Shiba Inus are one I didn't pick but have 2 that are very low demand dogs, other than bathing/brushing. They are all VERY different and I like them for different purposes, but each has a niche they fit into.

On second note your allergy prone husband make Rough Collie a No and Short hair collie a yes. You can ask your husband to check if he is allergic to Rough Collie. He knows by now on the base of personal experience I guess.

Australian Cattle dog is another breed that worth looking at.

This is super helpful, thank you!! I’ll check out both breeds! ❤️

Awesome post.

As a Leonberger owner for 22 years and someone who has fostered for a Newfie rescue, the Leo ins hands down. Newfies have a smell, whether it's from all the drool down their front or from the extra oil in their coat, but they SMELL. Leos don't drool and don't have an oily coat. IMHO The Leos I've had have been much longer lived and healthier than the average Newfie. My Leonbergers average 12-13.5 years old, and none have ever had hip issues or any health issues. One of my friends has Newfies and says they all have terrible hip issues and hers are in terrible shape by 8 years old. I have an Aunt who has done Saint Bernard Rescue for 35 years and many of hers never make 8 years old. The only other giant breed we've had as healthy as our Leonbergers is a Pyrenean Mastiff, in my avatar. He was 165 lbs and lived to 13.5 years old. He had a totally different function that a Leonberger and was our guard dog. We will definitely have another Pyrenean Mastiff.

I've also worked for vets and fostered almost 1000 dogs in 22 years. My other favorite breeds are: English Shepherds, Border Collies, Black English Labradors, Irish Wolfhounds, Borzoi. Shiba Inus are one I didn't pick but have 2 that are very low demand dogs, other than bathing/brushing. They are all VERY different and I like them for different purposes, but each has a niche they fit into.
Wow, that is ample amazing first hand information. very happy to have you here and hope you stay around.

There is no question that many of the large breeds are now living less because of human intervention and quest of us humans to design a good looking but non functional dogs.
Your Pyrenean Mastiff is a good example. Less known breeds did not get involve in fashion and kept their practicality and natural selection.

I am very hesitant to suggest German Shepherd to anyone because of the same issue. They have been over bred and have gone wrong way the last two decades or so.
If anyone wants a German Shepherd I always think Shiloh Shepherd is what they want but they don't know Shiloh exist.
I can suggest Leonberger to people left and right but how they are going to find one?

It is like somebody asks me about a good affordable car and I suggest Ferrari . It means I forgot about the affordable part of the sentence.
Same with some other breeds. Hovawart for example, there are maybe two Hovawart Breeder in Canada.

so this dog does not need to fend any serious predator bigger than foxes and Racoons?
Correct.
does this dog have any function or place outside your 2 acre property regularly or is just your dog in farm?
Companion, goes almost everywhere with me.
Do you prefer small, medium, large or huge dogs?
Medium to large (50 to 120 pounds)
I like to know more about your case to be able to suggest a breed that fits you the best.

Do you like independent dog breeds that may not listen to us if they think they know better than us? ( and in many cases they do )

Or do you like a dog that looks at your reaction first and then he/she reacts to danger?
It may mean if you are scared he might be scared. He depends on you in most cases.
Probably the second option. I need the dog to listen to me in an emergency .
Since your youngest kid is nine please consider yourself a kid free house for dogs. Dogs react to kids as adults by the age of nine if they are smart dogs.
Ok
To them your kid is an extension of you. They protect you and your extensions including kids.

We are keen to get a German shepherd from working lines. Not getting super soon but sometime in future. My husband and I are experienced dog owners and we have one child who is 10 years old, likely she would be at least 11 or 12 by the time we get the dog.

We will be living on a fully fenced 2.5 acre property in a rural area. The dog would live inside. I want a German shepherd as it is a breed we can agree on. My husband and daughter wanted a husky but I have vetoed that. I want the dog to be safe around children and chickens, to guard the property, be a good companion, and to be our first point of warning and defense in case of a home invasion or other crime against us. I feel like a German shepherd is intelligent enough to protect us in the unlikely event of that even if they have not specifically been trained to do so.

We can provide plenty of exercise and the dog would 'have a job' and spend most of his time with us.

Do you think a German shepherd is a good fit for our situation?

What dog should i get?

Purpose: companion
Living: inside
Other pets: chickens, cat, guinea pigs.
Experience: german shepherd
Pet peeves: grumpy, my dads German shepherd growls at me if I even walk by him
Home/Living: house with a medium sized fenced in backyard on 13 acres of woods in the middle of nowhere.
Family:
family of six, the youngest is ten.

@cluckmecoop7 I used your post as a template.
Please have a deep look at Akita and tell me what you think?

Boxer is another all around farm/companion/athletic and level headed dog breed.
if your dog is exposed to wild big animals then Akita and Boxer or Keeshond.

If big wild animal are not around then a Labrador or Golden Retriever or Australian Sheepdog.

Please have a deep look at Akita and tell me what you think?

Boxer is another all around farm/companion/athletic and level headed dog breed.
if your dog is exposed to wild big animals then Akita and Boxer or Keeshond.

If big wild animal are not around then a Labrador or Golden Retriever or Australian Sheepdog.
Are there any smaller breed you can think of? Like around 30-45 lbs. What do you think about a beagle.

We are keen to get a German shepherd from working lines. Not getting super soon but sometime in future. My husband and I are experienced dog owners and we have one child who is 10 years old, likely she would be at least 11 or 12 by the time we get the dog.

We will be living on a fully fenced 2.5 acre property in a rural area. The dog would live inside. I want a German shepherd as it is a breed we can agree on. My husband and daughter wanted a husky but I have vetoed that. I want the dog to be safe around children and chickens, to guard the property, be a good companion, and to be our first point of warning and defense in case of a home invasion or other crime against us. I feel like a German shepherd is intelligent enough to protect us in the unlikely event of that even if they have not specifically been trained to do so.

We can provide plenty of exercise and the dog would 'have a job' and spend most of his time with us.

Do you think a German shepherd is a good fit for our situation.
The Shiloh Shepherd has a combination of German Shepherd and Alaskan Malamute in their genetic makeup.
It is a compromise that is closer to what your husband and daughter want compare to a pure German Shepherd that you want.

I love that you want a working line . If there is any hope in German Shepherd , it is within working lines but if you are ok to put up with all a young German Shepherd brings , then why not try the magnificent Belgian sheepdog?

Back
Top Bottom