Let me help you find the best dog breed that matches your life style and needs:

Pics
I have first hand experience with a few Spaniels . To my surprise the Russian Spaniel was the best of the bunch. Healthy , smart and agile. They are healthier than most other spaniels .
I was actually looking at those, they are gorgeous. And they check almost all the boxes. The hardest part is finding one.

Have you had any spaniels and which breed was your favorite?
Spaniels are so vastly different in character . I think there are more than 15 of them. If you want Spaniel Specific Advice I am not your guy. I have seen a few of them growing alongside my dog for years in a dog park and some in personal life.
I can tell you I saw Russian Spaniel was the only dog of the bunch that sometimes out smarted my Sheltie. They are practically a mixture of a few Spaniels to make a perfect Spaniel.
Spaniels are like Ford. If I tell you I bought a Ford you can think of 15 cars right away but which ford? Which Spaniel? You have a wide range to choose and experts can help you more.

Spaniels are so vastly different in character . I think there are more than 15 of them. If you want Spaniel Specific Advice I am not your guy. I have seen a few of them growing alongside my dog for years in a dog park and some in personal life.
I can tell you I saw Russian Spaniel was the only dog of the bunch that sometimes out smarted my Sheltie. They are practically a mixture of a few Spaniels to make a perfect Spaniel.
Spaniels are like Ford. If I tell you I bought a Ford you can think of 15 cars right away but which ford? Which Spaniel? You have a wide range to choose and experts can help you more.
Thanks. I'm just gonna keep looking at different breeds.

What is the purpose of you choosing a dog? Mostly guarding the place. Have lost several chickens and 2 turkeys.

Small homestead, not quite 5 acres. Not fenced. Does have a fenced backyard.

Mostly outside dog.

Any livestock? Ducks and chickens. Plan to possibly add pigs, turkeys, or goats, or sheep. Have an indoor cat but that might change when she is spayed in September.

Your experience with dogs in general: Lived with dogs all my life. Black Labs, Golden Retrievers. Our current dog is a Beagle, very sweet but afraid of his own shaddow.

Your pet peeves. No jumping on people, no licking.

The home,land,exercise and attention you are happy to give your dog? Medium sized house on less than 5 acres. Medium attention.

Your family size and structure? Two adults on each side of 60, 7 yo grandson lives with us.

Do you want to walk your dog in public places like parks off leash? Nope, but want a dog who listens.

Delta ,my 15 years old Sheltie was the first dog in my life that was born, raised and passed way alongside me. Every single other dog back in Iran I lost to theft, poisoning, car accident and such.
Was he special? I don't know. It was for me. He was outdoor dog with 1000 miles recorded hiking under his belt. The computer picked the breed for me.

I had this stupid question about a dog breed that can grow up with me under my supervision and until he dies he never make mistake? is it possible?

Is it possible to not make a huge mistake raising a puppy? what that puppy would look like ? would that puppy that you gave your all to raise him the right way answers your quest by being a perfect dog that never make mistake?

Delta was my quest to answer that question. I made a few very tiny mistakes raising him but nothing serious can notice but he never made a mistake. He proved me in animal world there are some breeds that can be perfect. Down to Dusk of their life. Delta was one of them. He made me proud.
And I started crying again. It is only 15 days I lost him.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
You almost had me watering up too. Shelties are my "special breed."
I grew up with three of them, and have had several more as an adult. They are such special little dogs, and the strength of their bond to "their person" is one of their most endearing qualities.
My current and last shelties were almost 24/7 companions (the last even went to work with me everyday for years) After a few years by your side they almost begin to feel more like a little mute person than your dog.
I know they aren't for everyone. Some can't get past the hair or the barking, but their loyalty, intelligence, intuition and personality outweigh all that for me.

As gut wrenching the void they leave behind can be, know that you were blessed to have 15 wonderful years with Delta, and his memory will live on with you always. ❤

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
You almost had me watering up too. Shelties are my "special breed."
I grew up with three of them, and have had several more as an adult. They are such special little dogs, and the strength of their bond to "their person" is one of their most endearing qualities.
My current and last shelties were almost 24/7 companions (the last even went to work with me everyday for years) After a few years by your side they almost begin to feel more like a little mute person than your dog.
I know they aren't for everyone. Some can't get past the hair or the barking, but their loyalty, intelligence, intuition and personality outweigh all that for me.

As gut wrenching the void they leave behind can be, know that you were blessed to have 15 wonderful years with Delta, and his memory will live on with you always. ❤
Thank you for your kind words. It helped me water a few plants this morning.

For the first 9 years of his life ,Delta was 24/7 companion of mine except one night. I started working outside the home when he was over 10 years old.
You know better the 24/7 bond with a Sheltie makes them part of you and you part of them.

Back
Top Bottom