Let Me Rate Your Small Animal Setup!

EverythingDucks

🙄🤚 𝙻𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝙳𝚞𝚌𝚔
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
I've seen a lot of pet YouTubers do videos where they have people email pics of their small animal setups and get constructive criticism on how to make it better for the pet.

So, I thought since there are so many animal lovers on here it would be cool to do this!

Please note that I do not own any small pets, but I have done research for years and years and know many people who own these animals. I am currently making articles on care for these animals too.

I can review the following animal enclosures:
  • Hamsters
  • Mice
  • Rats
  • Sugar gliders
  • Indoor rabbits
  • Gerbils
  • Ferrets

Please understand that I wish only to help you and your pets, not offend you!

When you submit yours please add the dimensions (doesn't have to be exact), pictures, and about your schedule with them (how often are they let out, do they have another play space, is this a temporary cage, etc.).

I'm trying to think of someone who has one of these animals to tag them. I'm not thinking well tonight.
Maybe tomorrow I'll have luck.

I guess I'll play along, although I don't have any good photos of the entire set up, and cage is right now in storage since we don't currently have rats.

The cage is the R-680 http://www.martinscages.com/rats.html (30"x18"x24"h)

I set it up with 2-3 hammocks and plastic mesh on the platforms to prevent bumblefoot from wire. Toys came and went: there were various purchased toys such as the rope and sisal chewing item hanging down. I made some of my own, like mini treat balls that they could roll around to dispense treats, and climbing ropes, and of course all sort of cardboard boxes. I'd suspended things like a strawberry basket with scrap paper for them to destroy, or toilet paper rolls with dog kibble inside.

Rather than the usual bedding across the bottom type set up that you often see with rodents, I did a litter pan (seen in bottom right of 1st photo) which the rats sort of used, and then would do full cleanouts of everything every 3 days which included washing off the plastic mesh and washing and replacing the fleece pee pad on the bottom.

rats3.jpg

rats4.jpg

The rats got free roam time while I cleaned the cage, plus about 20 min after lunch, plus about an hour in the evening. If I wasn't doing anything I'd put them up my sleeve and let them use me as a jungle gym. They can hold off on having to poop for about 15-20 minutes, after that they needed to be back in the cage to poop.

Back
Top Bottom