Let my pigeons out for the first time and...

bpilgrim

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Hi Everyone, hoping some of the fellow chicken keepers know a bit about pigeons. I bought a trio 3-4 weeks ago and I let them fly for the first time today. It wasn’t until about 2 hours before dark they noticed their exit way. 2 flew, but 1 stayed. They hung around close the whole time. They didn’t return into their home. They are roosting up in a tree together. At dusk, the first owl I’ve ever seen tried to get them. They are ok and I tossed rocks at the owl, but I’m sure that didn’t do much. Do they even have a chance!? Why didn’t they go back in their door to their house? I thought they just would!

Hi Everyone, hoping some of the fellow chicken keepers know a bit about pigeons. I bought a trio 3-4 weeks ago and I let them fly for the first time today. It wasn’t until about 2 hours before dark they noticed their exit way. 2 flew, but 1 stayed. They hung around close the whole time. They didn’t return into their home. They are roosting up in a tree together. At dusk, the first owl I’ve ever seen tried to get them. They are ok and I tossed rocks at the owl, but I’m sure that didn’t do much. Do they even have a chance!? Why didn’t they go back in their door to their house? I thought they just would!
Have you trap trained your pigeons to come in and out the entrance to the loft? I have a cage that i put on the outside of the loft entrance so the can use the entrance but not be able to fly away. There is also bobwires on the inside that they go through when returning so they can't exit once back in. Something like this.
DSC_0005.JPG

When you are happy that they know how to enter and exit you can remove the cage. When you fly them it is a good idea to fly them hungry so that they will return for food. Try and give them a feeding routine and you can whistle and/or shout so they know that they are being fed and will return quickly. If the two that didn't return manage it through the night I'd advise taking the one that didn't fly and putting it in a cage inside the loft so it can't fly off and fully opening the main door and if you can see the other pair get there attention and throw a little feed inside the loft towards the back so they will hopefully see it and return back to eat.

I do that with my birds. Mine come for their treats. Make a certain call that means food or treats and usually when you make it they will come for the food or treats. It will take awhile to get them used to it. I do it for my chickens too. To get them used to going into their coops I give them something in the evenings in their coops and they will go in for their treats. Eventually I slack off but by then it's a habit and they will go in on their own.

Yeah, I guess Pigeons are not like chickens, LOL. Thanks for all the tips - I have some reading to do. @CCUK -that image gives me a fantastic idea of what I need. I didn't see my birds today, and the 3rd one left this morning - I left the door open in case the other 2 came home. I think they are gone for good - I've learned my lesson and will train the next ones I get.

Back
Top Bottom